Zhou has created snow bowls (above) and a table and chairs (below).
Here's some more information from the designer:
Ice & Snow Furniture Raised From Lake Mendota, Feb, 2009
by Hongtao Zhou, Sustainable Artist/Designer, UW-Madison
Hongtao Zhou, a University of Wisconsin-Madison art student, is creating the icy furniture on frozen Lake Mendota near the UW-Madison Memorial Union Terrace shoreline. Visitors stop to take photos, eating ice cream from snow bowls and try the cold ice chairs. The icy furniture makes the winter terrace shoreline a place to enjoy winter fun.
The furniture is raised by an artist following the nature and using local climate and natural resources to please people in winter. They connect the lake, the land, the air and the people and complete a sustainable life cycle with minimum environmental impact. Environmental artist wants climate furniture to raise awareness that we can make a sustainable world with less or without a negative impact.
Following the weather change, the furniture will melt into the lake and become a part of the water body again and complete the beautiful green life cycle.
- Hövding by Anna Haupt and Terese Als…tin
- Weng Xinyu designs emotionally needy h…omeware collection
- GrandArmy rebrands United States Posta…l Service with "Americana" graphics
- The Radiation Collection by NOCC
- United Nude's Float shoes are created …on a desktop 3D printer
- Beau Sauvage at Gallery Libby Sellers
- NewspaperWood by Mieke Meijer and Vij5
- Dezeen readers receive 25 per cent off… Designs of the Year exhibition tickets
- Joyrider by Moritz Waldemeyer
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories