Zhou has created snow bowls (above) and a table and chairs (below).
Here's some more information from the designer:
Ice & Snow Furniture Raised From Lake Mendota, Feb, 2009
by Hongtao Zhou, Sustainable Artist/Designer, UW-Madison
Hongtao Zhou, a University of Wisconsin-Madison art student, is creating the icy furniture on frozen Lake Mendota near the UW-Madison Memorial Union Terrace shoreline. Visitors stop to take photos, eating ice cream from snow bowls and try the cold ice chairs. The icy furniture makes the winter terrace shoreline a place to enjoy winter fun.
The furniture is raised by an artist following the nature and using local climate and natural resources to please people in winter. They connect the lake, the land, the air and the people and complete a sustainable life cycle with minimum environmental impact. Environmental artist wants climate furniture to raise awareness that we can make a sustainable world with less or without a negative impact.
Following the weather change, the furniture will melt into the lake and become a part of the water body again and complete the beautiful green life cycle.
- Wanders to launch sofa concept in London
- VIK lounge chair by Arian Brekveld for S…pectrum
- Studio Swine uses aluminium foam to crea…te Metallic Geology cabinets
- Origami by Carlos Tíscar for Offecct
- Dezeen Watch Store relaunches
- The Body by Kirsi Enkovaara can be twist…ed and folded to create endless seating shapes
- Reddress by Company
- P’9521 mobile phone by Porsche Design
- W101 by Claesson Koivisto Rune for Wäst…berg
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories