Zhou has created snow bowls (above) and a table and chairs (below).
Here's some more information from the designer:
Ice & Snow Furniture Raised From Lake Mendota, Feb, 2009
by Hongtao Zhou, Sustainable Artist/Designer, UW-Madison
Hongtao Zhou, a University of Wisconsin-Madison art student, is creating the icy furniture on frozen Lake Mendota near the UW-Madison Memorial Union Terrace shoreline. Visitors stop to take photos, eating ice cream from snow bowls and try the cold ice chairs. The icy furniture makes the winter terrace shoreline a place to enjoy winter fun.
The furniture is raised by an artist following the nature and using local climate and natural resources to please people in winter. They connect the lake, the land, the air and the people and complete a sustainable life cycle with minimum environmental impact. Environmental artist wants climate furniture to raise awareness that we can make a sustainable world with less or without a negative impact.
Following the weather change, the furniture will melt into the lake and become a part of the water body again and complete the beautiful green life cycle.
- Heart Chair by Claesson Koivisto Rune fo…r David Design
- Grão by Pedrita
- Flat Mirrors by Big-Game
- Dear Disaster by Jenny Ekdahl
- Clip, Stamp, Fold: The Radical Architec…ture of Little Magazines, at the Architectural Association
- WirePod by Joris Laarman
- Knoll reissues armchair by late Charles …Pollock
- Stefan Borselius designs minimal chairs …for Fogia
- Mischer'Traxler's kinetic Ephemerā inst…allation "comes alive" when visitors walk away
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories