Design Indaba 09: the third in our series of videos from the Design Indaba conference and expo taking place in Cape Town this week features David Boira and Zoë Coombes of New York architecture and design outfit Commonwealth.
Here's some info about Commonwealth from Design Indaba:
Profession: Product Designer/Architect
Conference: Design Indaba 2009
Country: United States of America
City: New York
David Boira and Zoë Coombes are two architecturally trained furniture designers who work together under the studio name Commonwealth, based in New York. Both hold a Masters of Architecture from Columbia University’s Graduate School of Architecture.
Commonwealth’s works have been showcased in galleries in Europe, America and the Middle East, and culture-driven clients such as Issey Miyake and Warp Records have commissioned their architectural and visual designs. Working within the world of contemporary art and industrial furniture design, Commonwealth aims to produce work that embodies a sense of elegant desire through an engagement with both the newest of tools and the oldest of techniques.
- "You can design anything and have it 3D-…printed"
- Nokia Pure font by Dalton Maag
- Raf Simons tailors textured Kvadrat fabr…ics into men's outerwear
- Li Edelkoort exhibits Issey Miyake garme…nts at Design Museum Holon
- The Beauty of Nothingness by Nicolas Che…ng
- Mindcraft by Danish Crafts
- Dezeen archive: shoes by architects
- Crown Vase by Lambert Rainville creates …freestanding flower arrangements
- Shreddies underwear that stops farts sme…lling
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories