Serbian design studio reMiks has completed Supermarket, a concept store inspired by the "golden years of communism".
Hosting a bar, restaurant, salon and fashion boutique, the store is located in a former discount supermarket in Belgrade.
Found objects including a fridge, hospital screens and a camper van are used as display devices.
Here's some info from reMiks:
Supermarket concept store
Designed by studio reMiks, leading creative studio in Serbia.
The 1400 m2 site of the Supermarket concept store is an actual former discount supermarket, the first one ever to be opened in former communist Yugoslavia.
reMiks' relaxed attitude toward the "Golden years of Communism", coinciding with the period of brutalism in architecture, was the constant source of inspiration for the reMiks team.
The interior is intentionally raw and seemingly unfinished, so various delicate or luxurious objects or hedonistic activities the take place in an extremely ascetic environment.
The installations are visible, concrete floor is cracked, toilet doors were taken off a derelict freight elevator.
Retail modules were produced from recycled wood material (OSB). According to the designers, their intention was to create an "imperfect background for the educated consumers' perfect fetishes".
The interior is divided into functional areas:
- Bar area is 25 meters long, along the length of the retail area
- Fashion Lounge covers more than 150 m2`
- Spa and hair salon covers 350m2
- Restaurant 200m2
Intentionally raw approach plays an important part in introducing contemporary art and design into commercial, retail spaces.
Supermarket is on a fast tract to becoming an arts & culture destination of regional importance. Its first exhibition, Branko Lukic's Design Fictio was opened on February 17, 2009; Slavimir Stojanovic, the Balkan's leading graphic designer, just opened its first art show in Supermarket, Berlin-based 032C magazine exhibition planned in collaboration with Joerg Koch for June 2009, etc.
Supermarket is one of the locations of the first Mikser Design Expo, another brain child of re:miks / mikser collective, taking place in first week of June, 2009.
Supermarket concept store improves the existing retail concepts in Belgrade in several ways:
- Slow shopping enriched with various experiences
- Flexible space, perfect for various events
- Cultural content
- Promotion of young designers
- Consumer education
- Inventive ways to showcase the products
- Influencing the consumers’ tastes
- More interaction with consumers and more high-quality information about brands
- Eco-friendly High quality/high style merchandise
reMiks is a Belgrade based design studio providing service in the field of design (interior, architecture, graphic/web, package an dindustrial) as well as branding.
reMiks design trio - Maja Vidakovic Lalic, Marko Basarovski and Mihajlo Juric - is enriched with the branding talent of Nina Babic, former Executive Director of Belgrade Design Week.
Together with it’s sister organization Mikser, reMiks was proactive in co-organising Belgrade Design Week and responsible of many cultural events and design promotions (lectures of Rem Koolhaas, Daniel Liebeskind, Gaetano Pesce, Karim Rashid, Droog design, etc..)
Clients are from Serbia, US, Japan, Sweden, Spain... design graphic/web design and visual communication architecture product design & packaging brand environments & interior design event design & management human branding brand building public relations.
- Nendo presents chocolate bars like paint… swatches in Tokyo shop
- Saint Laurent opens new flagship store i…n Paris
- Clockwork Love by Tjep.
- Tea House for Robots by Rootoftwo and PL…Y Architecture
- Pure Groove Records by Threefold Archite…cts
- Oficina Caja de Arquitectos by Carlos Pe…reda Iglesias and Óscar Pérez Silanes
- Power Office by i29 and Eckhardt & Leeuw…enstein
- Little Chef by Ab Rogers Design
- Espace St-Denis by Anne Sophie Goneau
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories