The design includes a black, stone wall, black cubicle interiors and brass fittings in a white-painted interior with a high ceiling.
A blue, painted installation by Swiss artist Felice Varini resolves into a pattern of circles when viewed in the mirror above the wash basins.
Here's some more information from Glowacka Rennie:
In May 2008 Glowacka Rennie won an invited competition for the design of the Women’s Amenities off the Grand Entrance hall at the V&A.
“Their location means that they are well used by visitors and guests who attend major V&A events and parties in the Grand Entrance. The intention is to completely overhaul these toilets to create beautifully designed, stylish, elegant, comfortable and well-considered facilities.”
The purpose of the museum’s foundation was to raise standards in and promote fine and decorative arts; craftsmanship and materiality are therefore a very important part of the design.
A new stone datum unifies the space - a heavy ‘base’ into which the visitor descends down a new staircase. A light vaulted ceiling works with the rhythm of the existing windows and exaggerates the generous height of the space. This ceiling is slowly ‘revealed’ to the visitor as they descend down the stair and turn the corner to see the full effect.
A single black stone wall and black cubicle interiors provide a counterpoint to the otherwise light coloured space. Brass fittings, trims and balustrade add subtle, jewellery-like accents to the monochrome material palette.
Felice Varini, a Swiss artist known for his geometric perspective-localized paintings has added a fantastic, painted installation to the completed works. The hidden shape is ‘revealed’ in the basin mirror.
- Torafu Architects uses Japanese cedar co…lumns for fifth Aesop shop interior
- Eduardo Souto de Moura Concursos 1979-20…10 by André Campos and Pedro Guedes Oliveira
- Pop-Out House by Mut Architecture and Be…njamin Mahon
- NE by Teruhiro Yanagihara
- Inside awards: Food Bar at the Grand Hot…el by Ilse Crawford
- Chambre d'enfants by Ciel Architectes
- Wellcome Collection Club Room by Studioi…lse
- Pracownia by Karina Wiciak
- Fifth Avenue Shoe Repair by Guise
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories