The design includes a black, stone wall, black cubicle interiors and brass fittings in a white-painted interior with a high ceiling.
A blue, painted installation by Swiss artist Felice Varini resolves into a pattern of circles when viewed in the mirror above the wash basins.
Here's some more information from Glowacka Rennie:
In May 2008 Glowacka Rennie won an invited competition for the design of the Women’s Amenities off the Grand Entrance hall at the V&A.
“Their location means that they are well used by visitors and guests who attend major V&A events and parties in the Grand Entrance. The intention is to completely overhaul these toilets to create beautifully designed, stylish, elegant, comfortable and well-considered facilities.”
The purpose of the museum’s foundation was to raise standards in and promote fine and decorative arts; craftsmanship and materiality are therefore a very important part of the design.
A new stone datum unifies the space - a heavy ‘base’ into which the visitor descends down a new staircase. A light vaulted ceiling works with the rhythm of the existing windows and exaggerates the generous height of the space. This ceiling is slowly ‘revealed’ to the visitor as they descend down the stair and turn the corner to see the full effect.
A single black stone wall and black cubicle interiors provide a counterpoint to the otherwise light coloured space. Brass fittings, trims and balustrade add subtle, jewellery-like accents to the monochrome material palette.
Felice Varini, a Swiss artist known for his geometric perspective-localized paintings has added a fantastic, painted installation to the completed works. The hidden shape is ‘revealed’ in the basin mirror.
- "The world today is becoming a little …bit boring"
- V'ammos Restaurant by LM Architects
- Naturalizing Architecture at The Turbu…lences - FRAC Centre, Orléans
- Studio OxL converts a carpenter's work…shop into a live-in garage
- CaSA renovates Rocha Apartment with an… assortment of tiles
- Espasso launches Oscar Niemeyer and Jo…rge Zalszupin furniture re-editions
- I was a teenager in the... by Fandango… Projects
- Apartment Refurbishment in Barcelona b…y M2arquitectura
- Illy Shop by Caterina Tiazzoldi
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories