Croatian design student Victor Matic has designed a chair held together with zip ties.
The Zipit chair comes in a kit of wood and cardboard pieces that are joined using cheap plastic ties.
Matic is a student at the Faculty of Design and Art at the Free University of Bolzano-Bozen in Italy.
Here's some info from Matic:
zipit is a unique “do it yourself” chair based on a kit of wood modules, cardboard seat and backrest cushions, to be easily built up and disassembled only with zip ties connections.
as the "whats next?" i see the individuality, the seek for personality, the setting of one-self apart as “individual” but still being part of a “community” as a important factor.
in new design outputs i see a seek for personal identification within the things we do, we buy and we want.
designers and firms already acknowledge this tendency and they try to sell emotions, soul and a sustainable “living character”.
a new undefined human personality needs objects that own a variable adjusting and transformable character.
thereby my idea was to develop a “do it yourself” kit, for a unique and low-cost chair whose connections are fixed with adjustable zip-ties.
because of these uneasy connections, my chair tends to be loose and wobbly, but it was also part of my “whats next” idea – a new way of sitting. zipit is conceived as a “low-cost” modul based “do it yourself chair” therefore the production costs are/could be very low.
based on my concept for the market the different modules and zip ties could be in different materials and different colours to underline even more the individuality of the chair and its customer.
the customer could be a typical student as well as a single household or a family and their kids/teenagers.
- Designers in Residence at the Design Mus…eum
- Neon mirrors by Phillip K Smith III crea…ted glowing beacons at Coachella
- Yerin Do adds leather "parasites" to woo…den furniture
- Crave's USB-chargeable vibrator doubles …as a pendant necklace
- The Back Room by Studio Toogood
- Endoskeletons by Alon Meron
- Cathedral installation by Luke Morgan
- Google Glass was designed through "sketc…hing by hand" says lead designer
- Paralympic design: wheelchair rugby
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories