London architects Yes We Can Architecture have sent images of a project they built last summer out of hula hoops.
The installation was in the courtyard of the 18th century Hotel d’Aurès music school as part of the Festival des Architectures Vives :In(Side)Out in Montpellier, France last summer.
300 hula hoops were used in the installation, which is called Qui est “in”, Qui est “out” after a song by Serge Gainsbourg.
Here's some info from the architects:
This temporary structure was done with a very tight budget: 900 Euros. An installation of 300 bright green hula hoops connected with plastic clips, imposing its contrasting organic shape inside an 18th century courtyard. It was assembled by a team of 4 people in 2 days.
Qui est “in”, qui est “out”?
inspired by Serge Gainsbourg, 1966.
Hundreds of hula hoops cover the ground. Assembled together, they become structure. The hula hoop is the smallest entity which defines boundaries, between an inside and an outside. One is either IN or OUT.
But since hundreds of hula hoops are bound, accumulated and amalgamated together, this boundary is blurred.
The accumulation of hula hoops dis torts the perceptions; space is turned inside out.
“It’s fun, healthy and kids will love it”, The Hudsucker Proxy, Joel and Ethan Coen, 1994.
The installation transports us from the usual to the singular : we discover a product in a completely new light. This creation raises from technical and economic constraints of the festival: the objective being to have a maximum impact with minimal means.
Richard Knerr, the inventor of the hula hoop in 1957, died on 18 January 2008, at the age of 82.
The project was undertaken by a team consisting of Frederic ANDRE, David CARDINAL, Christelle Bewig, Sophie LEPINOY.
All photos and images are copyright: Frederic ANDRE, except 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08: Christelle BEWIG; and 12: Association Champ Libre.
- Herzog & de Meuron is "deconstructing st…upid architecture" in Miami
- Swimming Pool in Tortosa by Arquitecturi…a
- Taroudant University by Saad El Kabbaj, …Driss Kettani and Mohamed Amine Siana
- LandyM by andOFFICE
- Elding Oscarson completes Swedish seasid…e house in Mölle
- Apartment 50, Unité d’Habitation by R…onan & Erwan Bouroullec
- Tadao Ando's Casa Monterrey nestles agai…nst a hillside in Mexico
- Singapore Pavilion at Shanghai Expo 2010… by Kay Ngee Tan Architects
- Mobile egg-shaped beach huts installed a…long a South Korean shoreline
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories