New Designers 09: Northumbria University graduate Jack Bresnahan exhibited a series of biodegradable, plastic lids for turning used tin cans into household containers at graduate show New Designers in London last week.
There are 9 plastic lids in the set, which turn the cans into objects including a vase, soap dispenser, sugar caster, tea and coffee canisters, toothbrush holder, money box and desk tidy.
See also: Jar tops by Jorre van Ast
Here's some text from Bresnahan:
Northumbria 3D Design 09
Green issues are at the heart of everything that Jack Bresnahan does. A passionate believer that designers must take responsibility for their designs from conception to disposal, Jack feels that ‘anything that ends up in landfill is simply poor design’.
His aim through his designs is to create products that make environmentally friendly goods more accessible and help to make day to day living greener. This is not a blinkered crusade however, as while his designs are always created within a green framework he balances this with a drive to develop products that are both useful and good to look at.
His first final year project is a prime example of this. Across the UK, countless tin cans are thrown away everyday. Some are recycled; others go straight in the bin.
In an attempt to breathe new life into old rubbish, Jack has created a range of 9 different biodegradable plastic lids, that can be placed on the top of a freshly-washed baked beans can for example and transform its purpose. From a vase to a soap dispenser, a sugar pourer to toothbrush holder, money box to desk tidy and tea and coffee canisters, these stylish lids take tin cans to a whole new level.
- Z.BOX by Zaha Hadid
- Jonah Takagi: New American Designer at C…ivilian Art Projects
- Iris by Fredrikson Stallard for Swarovsk…i Crystal Palace
- Bronze Age by Philippe-Albert Lefebvre
- CLASH at FASHIONCLASH Maastricht
- Kaschkasch models lamp for Normann Copen…hagen on a cartoon character
- "We use three basic 3D-printing processe…s at Materialise"
- Fabrica Decorative System by Sam Baron
- Paul Cocksedge transforms Istanbul sea v…iew with installation of colourful circles
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories