Paris based design studio NOCC have produced a range of objects whose forms are generated according to the shape of sound waves recorded when their names are pronounced.
The collection, named Object of Sound, includes a candle holder, lampshade, and vase.
The profile of the soundwave recorded for each product is rotated into a 3D form, unique to the tone and volume of voice recorded.
This form is then made using rapid-manufacturing, meaning that each product could be unique and dictated by the voice of it's owner.
Watch a movie about the project here.
Here is some more text from NOCC:
OBJECT OF SOUND by NOCC
Paris-based studio NOCC's Object of Sound is a collection of objects consisting of a candle holder, a lampshade, and a vase. Each item takes its form from the graphic produced by a person's voice pronouncing the name of the object.
The profile of the sound is shaped into a 3D form and becomes an object. By giving volume to the sound wave, the form becomes a piece that is used according to the word pronounced. A candle holder profile becomes a candle holder, a vase profile becomes a vase and a light profile becomes a light.
Provided are examples of objects created from NOCC's voices, but the underlying concept of Object of Sound is that each unique voice creates a unique and personal shape.
Object of Sound pieces are produced using rapid manufacturing technology. Thanks to this technology, every object can be produced individually. NOCC's Object of Sound will be available at a forthcoming on-line store, Self-Studio.com
Candleholder: 275 x 92 mm
Vase: 154 x 228 mm
Light: 320 x 250 mm
Technology and Material :
Candleholder: SLS polyamide with black soft touch finish
Vase: SLS polyamide
Light: SLS polyamide
- Beater by Ding3000 for Normann Copenhage…n
- Punkt. DP 01 by Jasper Morrison
- Blue Frog Lounge by Serie Architects
- Tea with Georg by Scholten & Baijings fo…r Georg Jensen
- Design Museum announce shortlist for Bri…t Insurance Designs of the Year
- Styrene by Paul Cocksedge for the Stepne…y Green Design Collection
- (No)where (Now)here: Two Gaze-activated …Dresses by Ying Gao
- Cut and Paste Wallpaper by All The Fruit…s decorates rooms using random patterns
- Function follows form in Bruno Schilling…er's Unidentiﬁed products collection
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories