An exhibition of drawings and collages created for Blueprint magazine's Paper City feature, including work by architect Peter Cook and architect and artist James Wines, opens today at the Royal Academy of Arts in London.
Contributors to the feature are asked to articulate their ideas about the city; the size of the page is the only constraint.
Above: Peter Cook, Gavin Robotham and Lorene Faure.
Top image: Laurie Chetwood.
Alongside original artworks, around 40 designs are presented as a series of printed, paper pads so that visitors can tear off their favourites and keep them.
Above: Marc Atkins.
One blank pad of paper is provided for visitors to create a Paper City of their own, which they can enter into a competition.
Above: Rachael Champion.
The exhibition continues until 27 October.
Here's some text from the Royal Academy of Arts:
ROYAL ACADEMY OF ARTS ARCHITECTURE PROGRAMME
PAPER CITY: URBAN UTOPIAS
The new exhibition opening at the Royal Academy of Arts architecture space is Paper City: Urban Utopias. The exhibition showcases a selection of extraordinary drawings, collages and photomontages that have been produced for Blueprint magazine as part of their ‘Paper City’ commissions over the past three years. Works by architects, designers, artists and illustrators will be on display including new commissions from Peter Cook RA, Chris Orr RA and RA Schools students Inez de Coo and Rachael Champion.
The display will include a series of pads, featuring Paper City images that can be torn off and kept. The final ‘pad’ of paper will be left blank for visitors to draw their own Paper City; designs can then be submitted to a competition which will be judged at the end of the exhibition.
The Architecture Space is located adjacent to Royal Academy Restaurant
Admission is free of charge.
31 July – 27 October 2009
The exhibition is supported by Stephens & George Print Group.
- Haworth Tompkins' Liverpool Everyman T…heatre built with old and new bricks
- Renovated Spanish farmhouse by 2260mm …conceals a new structure behind its walls
- Kindergarten Kekec by Arhitektura Jure… Kotnik
- Green Edge House by mA-style Architect…s has a hidden garden around its perimeter
- Offset timber volumes create courtyard…s at House in Komae by Architect Cafe
- Charred timber clads walls of Okazaki …House by MDS
- Green8 by Agnieszka Preibisz and Peter… Sandhaus
- Casa CorMAnca by Paul Cremoux Studio
- Sunflower House comprises ten cubes po…inted in different directions
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories