An exhibition of drawings and collages created for Blueprint magazine's Paper City feature, including work by architect Peter Cook and architect and artist James Wines, opens today at the Royal Academy of Arts in London.
Contributors to the feature are asked to articulate their ideas about the city; the size of the page is the only constraint.
Above: Peter Cook, Gavin Robotham and Lorene Faure.
Top image: Laurie Chetwood.
Alongside original artworks, around 40 designs are presented as a series of printed, paper pads so that visitors can tear off their favourites and keep them.
Above: Marc Atkins.
One blank pad of paper is provided for visitors to create a Paper City of their own, which they can enter into a competition.
Above: Rachael Champion.
The exhibition continues until 27 October.
Here's some text from the Royal Academy of Arts:
ROYAL ACADEMY OF ARTS ARCHITECTURE PROGRAMME
PAPER CITY: URBAN UTOPIAS
The new exhibition opening at the Royal Academy of Arts architecture space is Paper City: Urban Utopias. The exhibition showcases a selection of extraordinary drawings, collages and photomontages that have been produced for Blueprint magazine as part of their ‘Paper City’ commissions over the past three years. Works by architects, designers, artists and illustrators will be on display including new commissions from Peter Cook RA, Chris Orr RA and RA Schools students Inez de Coo and Rachael Champion.
The display will include a series of pads, featuring Paper City images that can be torn off and kept. The final ‘pad’ of paper will be left blank for visitors to draw their own Paper City; designs can then be submitted to a competition which will be judged at the end of the exhibition.
The Architecture Space is located adjacent to Royal Academy Restaurant
Admission is free of charge.
31 July – 27 October 2009
The exhibition is supported by Stephens & George Print Group.
- MIMOA online architecture guide and map
- Heydar Aliyev Center was "an incredibly …ambitious project" says Zaha Hadid
- Taíde House was built over the granite …walls of a family's original residence
- Serpentine Gallery Pavilion 2011 by Pete…r Zumthor
- Faceted concrete T-shape facade fronts c…ourtyard house in Santa Fe
- 4th Building by Denton Corker Marshall
- La Cros Factories by Díaz&Díaz Arquite…ctos
- Lynch Architects to build ideal village
- Park Groot Vijversburg by Junya Ishigami… + Associates and MAKS
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories