Vienna architects Pichler & Traupmann Architekten have completed an open-air swimming pool in the park of a 17th-century castle in Jöss, Austria.
The project, called Open Air Pool Eybesfeld, incorporates a partially-underground shower area with glass-panelled shelving.
An undulating concrete walkway covered in polyurethane swoops down over the shower room and provides gradual entry to the water.
The pool measures 15.25 by 6.75 metres.
Photos are by Paul Ott.
Here's some information from Pichler & Traupmann Architekten:
Open Air Swimming Pool Eybesfeld
The original plan for Eybesfeld Castle was to provide a new base and an integration into the landscape by a surrounding loop in exposed concrete.
This loop should comprise living, secondary functions as well as an indoor swimming pool.
This project was split up later on in two single projects: a living landscape on the ground floor of the castle and a pool area located outside of the former castle wall near the corner tower in the park: a spread out blanket in polyester.
Pool, entry- and sunbathing areas, playground, seat ramp and sun deck are interpreted as zones of one single body lying in the lawn, coated homogeneously with polyester or polyurethane respectively.
Below ground level where this figure folds up from the lawn emerge changing cubicles and a shower room arranged as a mere glass structure underneath the cantilevering concrete structure.
The surfaces of the pool entry and the seat ramp have an undulating shape in such a way as to achieve anatomically formed seat and lying hollows.
Project Name: Open Air Pool Eybesfeld, Jöss/Lebring, Austria
Use: Swimming pool (15.25 x 6.75 m)
Client: Christine and Bertrand Conrad-Eybesfeld
Project Team PxT:
Manfred Petschnigg, Graz
West 8, Rotterdam
Klaus Pokorny, Vienna
Arch. Gerhard Kordon, Graz
Josef Fritz, Graz
Start of Planning: 2003
Start of Construction: 2005
- St Mary's Infant School by Jessop and Co…ok Architects
- PAC House by A+R Arquitectos
- Southwark Lido by EXYZT and Sara Muzio
- Long Window House by Another Apartment h…as no windows or doors on its front
- Casa Parr by Pezo von Ellrichshausen Arq…uitectos
- Faceted ceilings direct sunlight into Sy…dney home by Carter Williamson Architects
- Mjölk Architekti's Carbon house feature…s a burnt wood exterior
- Vakko Fashion Center & Power Media Centr…e by REX
- ArcelorMittal Orbit by Anish Kapoor
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories