Called La Médiateque de Proville, the building has a metalic frame clad in wood that will turn grey as it ages.
Large aluminium windows admit lots of natural light and the roof can be used as a terrace for reading outdoors.
Here's some text from Tank Architectes
The new mediatheque of Proville has to open onto the village and become a place of exchange and culture, a public library and a surprising and enthusiastic place inviting everyone to the pleasure of reading.
Create a contemporary architecture dealing with the environment and the existing elements.
The new spaces created are offering changing atmospheres and lighting effects due to large surfaces of glass and different partitions, patios and nice places where to take time to read, views on the church tower and the trees around.
Over roofs and terraces have been thought in wood which turns grey with the years.
The balance between town and nature is reached with an environmental approach: large picture windows to take advantage of the natural supplies of heat, and respiring partitions with systematic outside thermic insulation.
Olivier Camus et Lydéric Veauvy, architects
Mathieu Berteloot, architect chef de projet
Building: metallic frame
Over roof and terrace wood: meleze
Windows with aluminium frame.
LOCATION : PROVILLE / 59 / FRANCE
PLOT SURFACE AREA : 531m²
SURFACE AREA : 610m² - Terrace : 90m²
BUDGET HT/m2 : 1200 € / m²
ENERGY CONSUMPTION : inf to 35 kwh/m²
CLIENT : CITY HALL OF PROVILLE
STATE : DELIVERED 09.2008
- Ninotsminda Border Checkpoint by Luka …Machablishvili
- Mirage by Kjellgren Kaminsky Architect…s
- Jean Prouvé’s Maison Tropicale in L…ondon
- Riverside concrete pavilion in Norway …pays tribute to a paper press
- DI-VA House by Tectoniques
- Renovation of Julia's Apartment by Moo…hoi Architecture
- Urban Nebula by Zaha Hadid movie
- Pedra Tosca Park by RCR Arquitectes
- Dorobanti Tower by Zaha Hadid Architec…ts
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories