HHF Architects of Basel have completed the interior of a café and chocolate shop with a mirrored counter in Basel, Switzerland.
Called Confiserie Bachmann, the interior is predominantly white and features chocolate-coloured furniture.
The project involved re-orientating the layout to face a covered walkway alongside the shop.
Photographs are by Tom Bisig.
The following information is from HHF Architects:
Confiserie Bachmann, Basel
Coffee house and chocolate shop
Renovation of the Confiserie Bachmann flagship coffee house and chocolate shop. Confiserie Bachmann is Basel’s most traditional and most famous chocolate manufacturer, specializing in high-quality sweets.
With this renovation, the local, but in Switzerland well-known brand has received a bright, elegant, and contemporary expression that adopts the characteristic qualities of the previous chocolate shop despite the visible changes. The renovation optimizes its location by reorienting itself anew to not only the street, but also around its corner to the covered passageway with outdoor café seating.
An inviting café bar flooded with light, as well as the arrangement of the glass sales cabinet, the counter, the furnishings, and the bright colors, create a new openness to the street and the covered passageway. Although the space is small, the renovation creates a spacious, yet intimate atmosphere with the use of reflection and color.
Atypical of chocolate shops, the white color of the shop creates a light and spacious feel that is balanced by chocolate-colored furniture. Additionally, the offsetting mirror system embedded into the main wall reflects diagonally to create perceptive depth and complexity.
Project: HHF architects
Team: HERLACH HARTMANN FROMMENWILER with Markus Leixner (project architect)
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Program: chocolate shop and coffee house
Area: 93 m2
Client: Confiserie Bachmann AG
Images: Tom Bisig, Basel
- Spanish farmhouse revived by Dom Arquite…ctura with modern materials and details
- Kurogane by Maker
- Face to Face by Ministry of Design
- Taoyuanju Office by Vector Architects
- University Library of the University of …Amsterdam by Studio Roelof Mulder and Bureau Ira Koers
- SoleRebels by Dom Arquitectura and Asa S…tudio
- Zecc Architecten transforms an old water… tower into a parkland observation point
- Kengo Kuma suspends wooden barrels over …Japanese soy-sauce shop
- Studio Octopi renovates Edwardian townho…uses for the Delfina Foundation
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories