Mulders vandenBerk Architecten of Amsterdam have completed a playground building in a park in Utrecht, the Netherlands, with a Corian façade engraved with images of fairytales from around the world.
Called Anansi Playground Building, the pavilion splits the playground in two. One side is used by teenagers, the other by young children.
The interior is divided into three separate playrooms featuring bright colours and simple furniture.
Here is some more information from Mulders vandenBerk Architecten:
Anansi Playground building is located in the Utrecht district Kanalen eiland in the Netherlands.
One half of the playground consists of sports fields and is aimed at teenagers. The other half is a playground for children till 12 years old.
The building functions as a division between these two areas. Its central position increases the visibility of the park and due to the transparent architecture it is possible to monitor all activities in and around the playground. It is a place for the neighborhood.
A place to meet friends, to play and a shelter from the weather. The building has three playrooms. Each room has a simple floorplan enabling the rooms to be used in various ways.
Each room is related to an individual facade and offers a specific view. This combined with a unique "wallpaper" gives a particular identity to the rooms.
Click for larger image
The design invites children to play, to discover and invent games. The exterior of the building is the opposite of the 'active' playground with its many climbing frames and slides. The building is a calm oasis in the playground.
The façade is a large white Corian surface with milled jagged lines. At first sight there are only lines.
A second view reveals decorative characters; fairy tales from all over the world. Graphic design studio Design Arbeid selected together with the neighborhood children the various fairy tales.
The graphic design is placed on the facade to stimulate the senses and the imagination.
- LEAPfactory installs prefabricated ski a…nd snowboard school beside Mont Blanc
- Mondrian South Beach by Marcel Wanders
- Federation Island by Erick van Egeraat
- Grimshaw completes St Petersburg airport… with folded golden ceilings
- Sophia bookshop and publishing house by …Nicos Kalogirou and Evangelos Kotsioris
- The golden age is over for public buildi…ngs in Britain, says Stirling Prize winner
- Timber-clad kindergarten with "the silho…uette of a house" by Topos Architecture
- Kid University by Paredes Pedrosa
- Gallery House by Lekker Design
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories