Rotterdam studio GROUP A have completed a private residence cantilevered over a sloping driveway in Bussum, the Netherlands.
This slope connects the front and back gardens, and provides a direct entrance to the basement level.
Called Villa Bussum, the project features a 15 metre-wide window overlooking the rear garden and a distorted, pitched roof.
More about GROUP A on Dezeen: Blok 1 tower block (September 2009)
Photographs are by Scagliola/Brakkee.
Here's some information from the architects:
This private residence, completed in June 2009, is situated in a lush, leafy neighbourhood in Bussum, a small town near Amsterdam.
The neighbourhood is known for its 19th century villas, designed in a vast array of revivalist styles.
The design for the villa by GROUP A appears both modern and sculptural, and interacts in a natural way with its surroundings.
By using slanting walls and roofs the abstract building volume feels comfortably embedded in the landscape.
At the same time, the villa's sculptural character ensures that it fits in with the neighbourhood's monumental, sometimes even frivolous 19th century villas.
The villa's building type evolved from a simple rectangular volume, with a rotated pitched roof.
Subsequently, segments were cut from this volume in order to create windows, terraces, balconies and entrances.
A cut-out corner facing the street in front of the house clearly indicates the main entrance.
On the eastern side of the villa, a secluded garden and a second entrance can be found.
A comfortable porch and a 15 meter wide panorama window face the garden at the back of the house, and double up as a transition between the villa and the garden.
Both gardens in front and at the back of the house are linked to each other by a sloping path.
This descending path extends itself to underneath the cantilevering villa, thereby providing access for the basement floor.
Thus, the villa appears to be floating on air.
Start project: December 2005
Complete project: June 2009
- Centrum Muziek XXI by Architecten van Mo…urik
- Micro house by Architekturbüro Scheder …is raised off the ground on stilts
- National Grand Theatre in Beijing by Pau…l Andreu
- Ruta del Peregrino: Crosses Lookout Poin…t by Elemental
- Loyn & Co's Stormy Castle house pairs co…ncrete and glass with traditional stone
- SFMOMA Expansion by Snøhetta
- Biotechnological Park Building by Tatian…a Bilbao
- Hedley Bull Centre for World Politics by… Lyons Architects
- "I tried to create something between nat…ure and architecture" - Sou Fujimoto
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories