Called Briccole Venezia, the design forms part of a larger project for Milan furniture company RIVA 1920 where 18 designers and architects have been asked to design products using recliamed oak from Venice's waterways.
Each unique table is made of boards cut from the posts, supported by legs that slope at various angles.
See all our stories about Cologne 2010 in our special category.
Here's some more information from RIVA 1920:
Design: Matteo Thun
“Suggested by Canal Grande and by the gondoliers’ stops, a table made of the briccole’ s wood, typical of Venice, was born. Each table is unique – a piece of Venice at home.”
The tabletop is realized with unique boards that are sectioned from the “briccole”, always keeping the original shape of the trunk. The crossover legs are fixed sideways on the top, by reminding the peculiar lagoon Venetian landscape.
“Oak mooring posts in the lagoon”
In a historical context like the one that we are experiencing, we think it essential to transmit some signals concerning the possibility and necessity of cultivating the idea of recycling materials, by manufacturing objects that will be handed down to the future generations. In a phase of continuous research we have found a material that we consider unique: the Venice’ s “BRICCOLA”. They are oak mooring posts substituted from the Venice’s lagoon because of wear and tear or breaking.
“This natural material”
RIVA1920’ s purpose is of creating some products by using this natural material and by making use of the co-operation of 18 designers and architects of world-wide renown, by arranging an important exhibition during the “Salone del Mobile 2010” fair in Milan, leading it afterwards all over the world.
- REK bookcase by Reinier de Jong
- Benjamin Hubert's lightweight Ripple tab…le is now strong enough to stand on
- Belu by Zaha Hadid
- "You don't have to be an expert to do am…azing things" - Sugru founder
- Kiosk at SCP by Michael Marriott
- Origami Sofa by Yumi Yoshida unfolds to …become a floor mat
- Kyuhyung Cho creates colourful three-sid…ed shelves for Menu
- Gifu by María del Pilar Velasco and Pau… Stephens
- 60Bag by Katarzyna Okinczyc and Remigius…z Truchanowicz
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories