Called Briccole Venezia, the design forms part of a larger project for Milan furniture company RIVA 1920 where 18 designers and architects have been asked to design products using recliamed oak from Venice's waterways.
Each unique table is made of boards cut from the posts, supported by legs that slope at various angles.
See all our stories about Cologne 2010 in our special category.
Here's some more information from RIVA 1920:
Design: Matteo Thun
“Suggested by Canal Grande and by the gondoliers’ stops, a table made of the briccole’ s wood, typical of Venice, was born. Each table is unique – a piece of Venice at home.”
The tabletop is realized with unique boards that are sectioned from the “briccole”, always keeping the original shape of the trunk. The crossover legs are fixed sideways on the top, by reminding the peculiar lagoon Venetian landscape.
“Oak mooring posts in the lagoon”
In a historical context like the one that we are experiencing, we think it essential to transmit some signals concerning the possibility and necessity of cultivating the idea of recycling materials, by manufacturing objects that will be handed down to the future generations. In a phase of continuous research we have found a material that we consider unique: the Venice’ s “BRICCOLA”. They are oak mooring posts substituted from the Venice’s lagoon because of wear and tear or breaking.
“This natural material”
RIVA1920’ s purpose is of creating some products by using this natural material and by making use of the co-operation of 18 designers and architects of world-wide renown, by arranging an important exhibition during the “Salone del Mobile 2010” fair in Milan, leading it afterwards all over the world.
- The r5.5 Platinum Chronograph by Jasper …Morrison for Rado
- Bag Stools by Gitta Gschwendtner
- Dezeen archive: shoes by architects
- Studio Makkink & Bey create furniture fo…r a nomadic living room
- Menu begins production of cloche-shaped …lamps by Grethe Meyer
- Moonbird by Yukio Hashimoto for Yamagiwa
- Zaha Hadid sculpts marble vases and tabl…es for Citco
- Ion by Ziiiro at Dezeen Watch Store
- Design Academy Eindhoven students invite… Milan to Eat Shit
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories