Singapore studio Ministry of Design have completed a single-storey house that zig-zags across its triangular site in Singapore.
Called Lien Residence, the house twists to avoid an existing tree, creating courtyard spaces that are sheltered from the weather but admit light and breezes to the interior and basement level.
The building is split into three sections: an entertainment zone, a family zone and a private master zone.
The house also features a diagonally-patterned planted roof.
More stories about Ministry of Design on Dezeen:
Photographs are by Edward Hendricks and Patrick Bingham-Hall.
Here is some more information from Ministry of Design:
Lien Residence by Ministry of Design
Architecture (with PAA) + Interior Architecture 600 sq m Singapore 2009. Built
Returning to the romance of the single-storey bungalow house, this zig-zag house acquires its unique form via a series of formal maneuvers around a mature tree located on its long and triangulated sliver of land.
Tropically acclimated to the region, the building’s twisting form creates “in-between” spaces which provide shelter from nature’s harsh elements and simultaneously allow for cross ventilation and filtered light. Courtyards, captured by the turning of the twisted building form, bring light into the basement service areas.
Internal corridors serve as breezeways between air-conditioned and naturally cooled areas.
Slightly lofted over the ground, each of the building’s three Miesian inspired wings house an entertainment zone, a family zone and a private master zone.
Seen as a seamless singular form, the building reads as both sheltering building as well as abstracted sculpture.
Viewed from the vicinity’s taller structures, the building’s roofscape provides the final design touch – where diagonally arranged planting strips echo the unique twisted form of the House Around a Tree.
- Backbone Village Houses by OFIS Arhitekt…i
- Biblioteca Sant Josep by Ramon Esteve Es…tudio
- Kontum Indochine Cafe by Vo Trong Nghia …Architects
- Wooden trusses support new mezzanines in…side remodelled stone building by Corpo Atelier
- United Arab Emirates pavilion for Shangh…ai Expo 2010 by Foster + Partners
- Fireball Lilly Lodge by Hogarth Architec…ts
- Jesolo Magica by Zaha Hadid Architects
- Tyršův Stadion by QARTA Architektura
- Key projects by SelgasCano, Serpentine P…avilion 2015 designers
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories