French architect Sandra Courtine of Ciel Architectes has designed a bed unit for a child with circular perforations that form a ladder.
The purpose of the unit is to create more usable space and a dedicated children's area in a small room.
It incorporates sliding wardrobes and storage space.
Circular perforations on a panel of the unit creates a ladder to reach the top level of the cabinet.
Photographs are by Mirela Popa.
Here's some more information from Courtine:
With their second child coming, the owners would have liked to push the walls of their 3 rooms apartment. With a tight budget and surface (65m2), the stakes were as follows:
- Enlarge space without excessive modification, by capturing light through neutral and natural tones.
- Modernize this 80's apartment, by inserting a simple and sleek furnishing.
- Create intimacy and games in the room that the children will share (ladder inspired from playground climbing, hiding places, etc.)
The cabinet in the kid's room is dyed in a soft gray (Valchromat) lacquer finish. It is composed of two mezzanines offset in height. Under the lowest mezzanine, 3 long drawers to accommodate clothes. Under the highest mezzanine, there is room for the infant bed, in a second time it will be the place for the eldest's office.
At the right of the niche, toys and other bulky items are stored in a large, deep cupboard. Books and small items are placed in a low bookcase facing the mezzanine. Perforations of various sizes animate the design. Useful for the ladder, fun to hide and for aesthetic.
Architecte: Sandra Courtine
Maîtrise d'ouvrage: privée
Montant des travaux: 35.000€ h.t.
Objet: rénovation partielle - création de mobilier
|Open Room No.1 by
|Drawer Kitchen by
|More design stories
- Aesop's Chelsea boutique is shrouded in …copies of The Paris Review
- Heliocosm by FREAKS freearchitects
- Jerry House by Onion is built around an …indoor playground
- Once Upon a Dream by Mathieu Lehanneur f…or Veuve Clicquot
- Maggie’s Centre Gartnavel by OMA
- NHow Hotel Milan by Matteo Thun
- BIG's Hot to Cold exhibition opens at th…e National Building Museum
- Candy Crush offices are designed as a ca…rtoon "kingdom"
- [Cyber]Sewing Atelier by Estudio Guto Re…quena
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories