DMY Berlin 2010: designers Numen/For Use of Vienna and Zagreb wove a web of adhesive tape around scaffolding at the DMY Berlin venue in the Tempelhof former airport last week. Update: this project is included in Dezeen Book of Ideas, which is on sale now for £12.
The project involved wrapping 45 km of tape about the posts over four days.
Numen/For Use represented Vienna Design Week at the event, which takes place in October this year.
See all our stories about DMY Berlin in our special category.
Here's some more information from the designers:
Vienna Design Week Embassy presents
Tape Installation #5 at DMY, 09.-12.06.2010 / Tempelhof, Berlin
Although the Tape Installation is conceived as a kind of parasite, site specific object located at places like old attic, columns of a historical building, group of tries or an industrial concrete structure, due to location change of DMY a custom scaffolding construction had to be made. Therefore the installation appeared more like a captured UFO on the old Tempelhof Airport and less like a cocoon.
The installation was executed within four days (approximately 160 working hours) utilizing almost 700 conventional transparent tapes (45 km of tape).
The tendons of multiple layers of transparent adhesive tape are firstly stretched in between a construction. The following continuous wrapping of tendons results in a complex, amorphous surface through the process reminiscent of growing of organic forms.
The idea for the installation originates in a set design concept for a dance performance in which the form evolves from the movement of the dancers between the pillars. The dancers are stretching the tape while they move, so the resulting shape is a (tape) recording of the choreography.
by Pepe Heykoop
by Johan Bruninx
|More from DMY
- Humlegården apartment by Tham & Videgå…rd Hansson Arkitekter
- Faustino Winery by Foster + Partners
- Taipei Performing Arts Centre by OMA
- OMA Book Machine at the Architectural As…sociation
- Herta and Paul Amir Building at the Tel …Aviv Museum of Art by Preston Scott Cohen
- Shingle-clad cultural centre by Modostud…io offers spectacular mountain views
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: House A by T…akeshi Hamada
- Rooftop hangar by TDO provides launchpad… for James Bridle's surveillance balloon
- Open Air Pool Eybesfeld by Pichler & Tra…upmann Architekten
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories