DMY Berlin 2010: designers Numen/For Use of Vienna and Zagreb wove a web of adhesive tape around scaffolding at the DMY Berlin venue in the Tempelhof former airport last week. Update: this project is included in Dezeen Book of Ideas, which is on sale now for £12.
The project involved wrapping 45 km of tape about the posts over four days.
Numen/For Use represented Vienna Design Week at the event, which takes place in October this year.
See all our stories about DMY Berlin in our special category.
Here's some more information from the designers:
Vienna Design Week Embassy presents
Tape Installation #5 at DMY, 09.-12.06.2010 / Tempelhof, Berlin
Although the Tape Installation is conceived as a kind of parasite, site specific object located at places like old attic, columns of a historical building, group of tries or an industrial concrete structure, due to location change of DMY a custom scaffolding construction had to be made. Therefore the installation appeared more like a captured UFO on the old Tempelhof Airport and less like a cocoon.
The installation was executed within four days (approximately 160 working hours) utilizing almost 700 conventional transparent tapes (45 km of tape).
The tendons of multiple layers of transparent adhesive tape are firstly stretched in between a construction. The following continuous wrapping of tendons results in a complex, amorphous surface through the process reminiscent of growing of organic forms.
The idea for the installation originates in a set design concept for a dance performance in which the form evolves from the movement of the dancers between the pillars. The dancers are stretching the tape while they move, so the resulting shape is a (tape) recording of the choreography.
by Pepe Heykoop
by Johan Bruninx
|More from DMY
- Norman Foster promotes "cycling utopia…" above London's railways
- Timber-clad seaside house with wood-te…xtured concrete interior by Ultra Architects
- Story Tower by RTU International Archi…tecture Summer School
- Angular wooden roof reduces sound reve…rberation inside swimming pool by Duggan Morris
- Dezeen’s top ten: hotels
- Science Studio and Formaldehyde Buildi…ng for Damien Hirst by Designscape Architects
- Bayon Artell office and warehouse by D…CPP Arquitectos
- "This isn't just some iconic skyscrape…r" - Steven Holl on Sliced Porosity Block
- House Y2 by Destilat
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories