A temporary retaurant by London firm Carmody Groarke has opened on the roof of a construction site overlooking the 2012 Olympic Park.
The structure is made of scaffolding and boards borrowed from the construction site, covered in recyclable plastic sheeting.
It remains in place until 4 July. More information in our earlier story.
Photographs are by Luke Hayes.
Here's some further information from the architects:
From 16 June 2010, for a 3 week period, just 2000 guests will get to visit Carmody Groarke's striking pop-up pavilion as it hosts Studio East Dining by Bistrotheque.
Built within a live construction site, 35m atop Westfield Stratford City development, the pavilion provides the first views across London's Olympic Stadium, and Zaha Hadid's 2012 Aquatics Centre, forming a commanding presence on London's skyline.
A fast build with a life span of just 3 weeks, the primary structure, weighing 70 tons, is constructed from hired materials borrowed from the existing construction site, including: 2000 scaffolding boards, 3500 scaffolding poles, and reclaimed timber, used to create the walls and floors of the 800 square metre dining space.
The cladding material which encases the roof, is a semi-translucent membrane, using industrial grade heat retractable polyethylene which is 100% recycled after use; as with the other materials, all will be returned to the site afterwards and recycled without any waste. By night, the whole structure will glow, forming shadows and silhouettes of the events held within, creating a compelling jewel on London's skyline at sunset.
"When Westfield approached us to do something on the roof of their still-being-built Stratford City development, we instinctively felt Carmody Groarke would be the obvious people to partner with, and that the structure should be built from everyday materials found around the site, be very design led and to match up to the stunning views, making it truly iconic. This is the Rolls Royce of Pop-Ups." Pablo Flack, Co-Owner, Bistrotheque
about this building
by Pascal Grasso
|Eat Drink Design:
- Mecanoo integrates public workspaces w…ithin banking centre for Rabobank
- Doubleview House by Murúa-Valenzuela …architects
- California home by Swatt Miers Archite…cts faces out over San Francisco Bay
- NEO Bankside by Rogers Stirk Harbour +… Partners
- Atelier Vens Vanbelle adds "retro-futu…ristic capsule" to a Belgian home
- Casa 2V by BR3 Arquitetos features a b…ridge, a courtyard and a granite-topped staircase
- Cibercentro Macarena by MedioMundo
- Registry Office of St Vicente by Duart…e Caldeira
- Near House by Mount Fuji Architects St…udio
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories