An LED display shows Pugh's movie collaborations with artist Ruth Hogben, reflected endlessly in mirrored glass covering the other walls.
Garments are hung in rubber-lined recesses while accessories sit atop rubber-covered light boxes.
The changing room is covered in grey triangular padded-leather tiles.
Photographs are by Joseph Cheung.
Here's some more information from Daytrip:
London studio daytrip has designed the first ever shop for fashion designer Gareth Pugh in Hong Kong.
The space is designed to showcase Gareth’s creations in a black-mirrored cube. The dominating feature is a full height LED wall that plays constant videos of the designer’s collaborations with video artist Ruth Hogben, the result being infinite reflections on all sides of the retail space.
Whilst Pugh’s creations are visually showcased across the space, his clothes hang in rubber lined edge lit recessed areas and his leather accessories sit on chamfered rubber light-boxes located centrally in the space.
Contrasts of ‘light and dark’ and ‘matt and shiny’ are strong themes in the design. One of the strongest contrasts is the changing room with soft padded triangular tiles in ash grey leather with stark, clinical lighting.
The angled mirrors reflect the geometric pattern emphasising the sense of unease in the padded cell.
The façade is finished in matt black rubber with Gareth’s logo across the window, the effect being a dramatic brand vision from the street with a constantly changing video backdrop.
Iwan Halstead, Creative Director of daytrip says “early inspiration for the shop came from conversations with Gareth about ‘Witches of Eastwick’ and his work with Showstudio. I showed him a Hype William’s directed Busta Rhymes video and some materials and we felt we had a strong concept that echoed his brand ideology.”
|United Nude Shanghai
by Rem D Koolhaas
|Galerie BSL by
|NY 11-18-02-10 by
Campaign for Dunhill
- Nike Free 2013 installation by Studio-at…-Large
- Cisco offices by Studio O+A feature wood…en meeting pavilions
- Die Kunstbar by Studio Arne Quinze
- East London Furniture at DreamBags Jagua…rShoes
- The Upside Dome by Gijs Van Vaerenbergh
- White Dormitory for Il Vento by Case-Rea…l
- "You'll probably need an aspirin" after …my Design Museum show, says Paul Smith
- Clive Wilkinson Architects brings "quirk…y rawness" to Funny or Die offices
- Starbucks Coffee at Dazaifu Tenman-gū b…y Kengo Kuma and Associates
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories