Brussels designer Sylvain Willenz drew on cassette tapes and floppy disks for the design of these external hard drives.
Called CLS Mobile Drive, the design features paper labels behind removable windows for marking the contents of each drive.
A dock allows three drives to be connected at once.
Willenz created the design for German digital storage company Freecom.
Photographs are by Julien Renault.
Here's some more information from Willenz:
New CLS Mobile drive designed by SYLVAIN WILLENZ for FREECOM
Following the success of the XXS Mobile Drive and other products, Freecom commissioned us to develop a new concept for collecting and organizing data.
The response is the CLS Mobile Drive, an external mobile hard drive that incorporates a labeling system on its side, enabling users to organize their data and identify hard drive contents at a glance.
Witnessing the growing number of hard drives owned by individuals for their data (music, data, films, back-ups...) and inspired by the old cassette tapes and floppy drives, we imagined a drive that could be labeled in a very simple and personal way.
The label is kept behind a removable window set in the side of the drive. The CLS comes in a stackable see-through case with spare colored labels and a small USB cable. Alongside, we also designed a dock, allowing for 3 drives and 1 extra peripheral to be connected to the computer simultaneously.
Materials: Injection moulded plastics, 2.5" Hard Drive
Dimensions: 109.8 x 79.5 x 13.5 mm
Project Assistant: Robbie Van Nieuwenhove
|Little Disk Program by
|Memory Stucks by
- "Bauhaus modernism" inspires Afteroom's …furniture and home accessories for Menu
- Smart cup by Yves Behar knows precisely …what's in your drink
- Chai Pi Ke Puht cups by Sian Pascale
- Sara Lee headquarters by Marco Hemmerlin…g
- Tint room dividers by Kristine Five Melv…ær
- Zouhria by Massimiliano and Doriana Fuks…as Architects
- .ORI sto by Jakub Piotr Kalinowski
- The Yachiyo metal rug by Philippe Maloui…n
- Noir Collection by Barnaby Barford
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories