Brussels designer Sylvain Willenz drew on cassette tapes and floppy disks for the design of these external hard drives.
Called CLS Mobile Drive, the design features paper labels behind removable windows for marking the contents of each drive.
A dock allows three drives to be connected at once.
Willenz created the design for German digital storage company Freecom.
Photographs are by Julien Renault.
Here's some more information from Willenz:
New CLS Mobile drive designed by SYLVAIN WILLENZ for FREECOM
Following the success of the XXS Mobile Drive and other products, Freecom commissioned us to develop a new concept for collecting and organizing data.
The response is the CLS Mobile Drive, an external mobile hard drive that incorporates a labeling system on its side, enabling users to organize their data and identify hard drive contents at a glance.
Witnessing the growing number of hard drives owned by individuals for their data (music, data, films, back-ups...) and inspired by the old cassette tapes and floppy drives, we imagined a drive that could be labeled in a very simple and personal way.
The label is kept behind a removable window set in the side of the drive. The CLS comes in a stackable see-through case with spare colored labels and a small USB cable. Alongside, we also designed a dock, allowing for 3 drives and 1 extra peripheral to be connected to the computer simultaneously.
Materials: Injection moulded plastics, 2.5" Hard Drive
Dimensions: 109.8 x 79.5 x 13.5 mm
Project Assistant: Robbie Van Nieuwenhove
|Little Disk Program by
|Memory Stucks by
- Spool Chair by Keisuke Fujiwara
- Squeezophone 360 by Claudio Colucci
- Alexander Wang designs furniture range f…or Poltrona Frau
- Jonas Wagell expands Swell sofa range fo…r Normann Copenhagen
- Furniture that looks like line drawings …by Jinil Park
- Frank, Ettore and Toyo by Chris Labrooy
- Dyson launches "most powerful" vacuum cl…eaning robot
- Copper Lamp 10kg by Tobias Sieber and Sa…muel Treindl
- Kaschkasch models lamp for Normann Copen…hagen on a cartoon character
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories