Hong Kong studio Davidclovers have covered the interior of this house in aluminium strips to create patterns of light and shadow that change throughout the day.
Situated at Clearwater Bay in Hong Kong and called House DE, the design merged two existing homes into one, joined by three staircases.
The undulating fins admit natural light through the ceiling during the daytime while emitting artificial illumination at night.
Photographs are by Almond Chu.
Here's more from the architects:
House DE is an “infill” townhouse, spectacularly sited on a hillside above Clearwater Bay, Hong Kong.
Combining two existing units into one, the design uses the volumes of three staircases to blend, burrow and interlock spaces vertically across four floors.
Each “interaction” is materially monolithic, using stone, wood and a series of delicate aluminum fins.
Defined by these fins, the texture and form of the lantern-volume subtly changes shape and depth, casting shadow and emitting light in different ways throughout the day.
Each stair-volume pries open the house vertically and horizontally, pulling in daylight and emitting artificial light.
Thickening the existing building enclosure and stretching it across the front and rear, the bedrooms and new master suite on the upper floors are protected from the elements, yet opens up to views of the natural surroundings.
Towards the South, the facade thickens and torques, providing shade for bedrooms and balconies; while on the North, the facade transforms into a garden trellis for an outdoor dining terrace.
|Barker Residence by
|Yud Yud by Davidclovers
and C.E.B. Reas
|House in Fukuyama by
Suppose Design Office
- Akio Hirata’s Exhibition of Hats by Ne…ndo
- Y. Di Cassanova by Van Halewyck & Marco
- Installation for the UK Pavilion at Shan…ghai Expo 2010 by Troika
- Spiegel Kantine by Ippolito Fleitz Group… Identity Architects
- Straw and plaster-lined cafe by A1 Archi…tects based on Japanese tea houses
- Design High at Louise Blouin Foundation
- Ghaith & Jad build brass rod installatio…n inside Beirut boutique
- Touch Digital by Post-Office
- Sierra Space by Logan Johnson Architectu…re
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories