Presented at DesignTide Tokyo 2010 earlier this month, the product is made of a magnetic tessellated triangles that fold to form a three-dimensional container.
See all our stories on Tokyo 2010 in our special category.
Here's some more information from Kawamoto:
The Orishiki is not same as any another luggage system geometric and lovely shape. The material and system are also quite unique which is way combined folding and swallowing up volume inside.
There is big possibility of many way to use the system on many different type of luggage in the future.
"Orishiki" is a hybrid word composed of "Ori", taken f rom Origami, Japanese paper-folding art, and "Shiki" taken f rom Furoshiki, Japanese traditional wrapping cloth which is large enough to wrap and transport goods and gifts, as well as wearing them as scarves.
"ORISHIKI" is a new carrying device consisting of a single piece of two dimensional structure, constructed of triangular segments which can be folded like origami, and can wrap things like furoshiki.
The geometric bag is not only idiosyncratic in its appearance but also in its highly speacialized production process.
The unique process can be applied to just about any productions without losing its unique product identity.
Origami "folding-Ori-" and wrapping cloth "sock-shiki-", and represents a way how to "formula-Shiki-" encapsulation of "ORISHIKI".
Origami-like folds, a single structure consisting of triangular segments, but wraps things like applesauce, a new kind of bag systems serve as luggage.
Bag was closed geometrically, as well as a structurally unique, its manufacturing method is also special.
Therefore, while keeping its own brand identity, product development was possible variety.
|ORISHIKI Spectacle Case by Naoki Kawamoto||Origami Chair by
|Digital Origami by
- Architects' faces are made up of their b…uildings in Federico Babina's Archiportraits series
- Movie: Studio Libertiny at Design Miami
- Minimal cookbook presents Japanese sweet… ingredients as colour swatches
- Numen/For Use creates 3D grid of ropes i…nside inflatable String Prototype installation
- Sibling's wifi-blocking ON/OFF installat…ion creates a disconnected "cold spot"
- Punkt. Alarm Clock and Phone by Jasper M…orrison at Dezeen Super Store
- Patch Project by Beza Projekt
- Wrong for Hay collection
- Landscape Abbreviated by Nova Jiang
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories