Portuguese firm A+R Arquitectos installed this staircase with floating wooden treads and a zig-zag hand rail as part of the renovation of a Portuguese house.
Called PAC House, the three-storey project has parking and the entrance on the ground floor, kitchen, dining living room and bathroom on the first floor and bedrooms at the top of the staircase.
Photographs are by Nelson Garrido unless otherwise stated.
The following information is from the architects:
From the original building, localized in a context of a consolidated but chaotic city, we valued the stone masonry walls and the spatiality of the envelope.
The new objects added inside suggest the clear reading of these limits which they tend not to touch.
The intervention goals are twofold: to preserve the original character, through a careful balance between old and new; and to create living conditions compatible with contemporary habits.
Click for larger image
|Heliotrope Raising by
|51A Gloucester Crescent by John Glew||Vol House by
- Aim Architecture designs "back to the fu…ture" interiors for Shanghai shopping centre
- Showtime by Tobias Rehberger and Claus R…ichter
- Bat Studio creates reconfigurable steel …framework for Frenchologie boutique
- Bastogne by ADN Architectures
- Alexander McQueen store, Los Angeles, by… William Russell
- Capanna by K-studio
- Military church in Antwerp reinvented as… a restaurant by Piet Boon
- Winners of The Great Indoors Awards 2009
- Industrial materials furnish Hostem's wo…menswear floor by JamesPlumb
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories