Portuguese firm A+R Arquitectos installed this staircase with floating wooden treads and a zig-zag hand rail as part of the renovation of a Portuguese house.
Called PAC House, the three-storey project has parking and the entrance on the ground floor, kitchen, dining living room and bathroom on the first floor and bedrooms at the top of the staircase.
Photographs are by Nelson Garrido unless otherwise stated.
The following information is from the architects:
From the original building, localized in a context of a consolidated but chaotic city, we valued the stone masonry walls and the spatiality of the envelope.
The new objects added inside suggest the clear reading of these limits which they tend not to touch.
The intervention goals are twofold: to preserve the original character, through a careful balance between old and new; and to create living conditions compatible with contemporary habits.
Click for larger image
|Heliotrope Raising by
|51A Gloucester Crescent by John Glew||Vol House by
- Eat Drink Design at Dutch Design Week
- Studio Tilt creates flexible interior …for Proud Archivist cafe and events space
- Ferrer store by Studio Arne Quinze
- [Cyber]Sewing Atelier by Estudio Guto …Requena
- Vincent Van Duysen Architects fits Aes…op's Hamburg store with a chunky stone sink
- Harry Thaler adds mobile furniture and… boxy beds to artists' apartment
- Tel Aviv Penthouse by Pitsou Kedem fea…tures an infinity pool overlooking the city
- Fiu Fiu Boutique by Mateusz Adamczyk a…nd Marcin Kwietowicz
- Singapore luxury watch pop-up store "c…reates the effect of falling crystals"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories