Portuguese firm A+R Arquitectos installed this staircase with floating wooden treads and a zig-zag hand rail as part of the renovation of a Portuguese house.
Called PAC House, the three-storey project has parking and the entrance on the ground floor, kitchen, dining living room and bathroom on the first floor and bedrooms at the top of the staircase.
Photographs are by Nelson Garrido unless otherwise stated.
The following information is from the architects:
From the original building, localized in a context of a consolidated but chaotic city, we valued the stone masonry walls and the spatiality of the envelope.
The new objects added inside suggest the clear reading of these limits which they tend not to touch.
The intervention goals are twofold: to preserve the original character, through a careful balance between old and new; and to create living conditions compatible with contemporary habits.
Click for larger image
|Heliotrope Raising by
|51A Gloucester Crescent by John Glew||Vol House by
- Red Town Office by Taranta Creations
- Fiat Lux by Label Architecture
- Villa Sonnehaert by Hollandse Nieuwe
- Jaffa Flat by Pitsou Kedem
- Paper Chandeliers by Cristina Parreño A…rchitecture and MIT
- "My mission is to elevate cannabis throu…gh design" says Megan Stone
- The Recovery Lounge by Priestmangoode
- BIG IDEAS by BIG
- Delicatessen FugasLusas by EXTRASTUDIO A…rquitectura
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories