Japanese studio Kazunori Fujimoto Architect & Associates have completed a weekend house in Nasu, Tochigi Prefecture, Japan, where two gabled structures are separated by a walled courtyard.
The house is divided into two parts with a double-height open-plan room on one side of the courtyard, and the bathroom and storage space on the other.
The bedroom, kitchen and dining room are all in one room, with a free-standing wall creating a partition.
Photographs are by Kazunori Fujimoto.
Here's some more information from the architect:
House in Nasu
This is a weekend house built in the area height of above sea level 550m, in Nasu-town, Tochigi Prefecture.
Though in the resort town, the road and the neighbor houses are near by the site, and it seems difficult to keep a privacy.
So we aimed to make an indoor space like a Scandinavian soft interiors instead of the room open directly to the outside .
The surrounding's tall trees blur the outline of the house, and the interior, they give the abstract light, shade, and many of colors.
It is one-room space that has two big windows and a concrete wall.
By the two windows the room connected to the outside environment.
Closing the white curtains, all symbols as "house" are hidden, and the color and materials that can be seen are limited, still more, the abstract space is filled calm atmosphere.
The inside concrete wall like "monolith" divide the space generously, and put the life in order.
Location: Nasu, Tochigi, Japan
Main use: weekend house
Site area: 504m2
Building area: 85.44m2
Total floor area: 85.44m2
Click for larger image
Design term: 2009
Construction term: 2010
|House in Sunami by
|House in Koamicho by
Suppose Design Office
|House in Ise by Takashi Yamaguchi & Associates|
- Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown by C…harles Correa Associates
- Szczecin Philharmonic Hall in Poland cap…tured in new photographs by Hufton + Crow
- Viewing Tower by Ateliereen Architecten
- MVRDV plans skyscraper with a "curving w…aist" for Vienna
- Shingle House by NORD Architecture
- Cabin Vardehaugen by Fantastic Norway
- Movie: tour of Architecture at Show RCA …2012 with Alex de Rijke
- 7 July Memorial by Carmody Groarke
- Wolveridge Architects adds timber-clad e…xtension to Northcote Residence
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories