The temporary installation in London, which was conceived and built in three weeks, was created to display garments from Topshop's autumn/winter 2011 collection to the press.
Elsewhere white blocks provide seating and display shoes and accessories.
Photography is by 42 Architects.
The following information is from the architects:
Twister - Topshop Press Day Installation, London
4 2 a r c h i t e c t s
Johan Berglund of London-based 42 architects have designed a spatial installation for Topshop's AW 11 press event in London, UK, working to an very tight timeframe of only three weeks from concept to completion.
Twister proposes a spatial configuration built of swirls, swooshes, vortexes and eddys - manifested as a system of hand formed black PVC coated tubes onto which garments can be hung. Visitors are invited to follow the structure as it winds through the room, while encountering concentrations of displayed garments along the way. The black tube also acts to bind the various collections together into one thematic whole. Around the structure sits a second layer of smaller white structures; benches and tables that hold shoes, accessories and makeup displays, as well as acting as seats for visitors.
Twister continues themes currently being in our studio. We take a great interest in the relationship between the body and space, with architecture acting as a mediator that can provoke and promote very specific types of uses and movement patterns.
- Wooden strips coil around staircase at S…trasbourg hotel by Jouin Manku
- Wooden posts and beams frame displays at… Tokyo shop by Fumihiko Sano
- Hyper-realistic renderings of a proposed… cafe in Ukraine
- Salon by Tetsuya Ito of Takara Space Des…ign
- Slides, nets and drawbridges feature in …Townhouse B14 by XTH-Berlin
- Colour-coded books produce a rainbow-lik…e display in a Rio bookshop by Studio Arthur Casas
- East Beach Cafe interior
- Ace Hotel opens latest branch in downtow…n Los Angeles
- Cambodia hotel features tiny terraced ro…oms that "look like houses"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories