Shoes are displayed in numbered slots on row after row of plywood shelves at this Sydney shop by Facet Studio of Sydney and Osaka.
Called Sneakerology, the shop displays sneakers in neatly ordered boxes, with each row staggered by half a unit.
Customers can learn more about each style using interactive screen in the centre.
See also: Habitat Antique by Facet Studio
Photographs are by Katherine Lu.
The information that follows is from Facet Studio:
A sneaker shop interpreted as a sneaker museum
In each of the 200mm x 600mm boxes, one by one, sneakers are carefully collected. The boxes are repeated, and offset by half unit on each level, and carried through repeatedly over an entire wall. Something which has little meaning on its own, when repeated 281 times over, it creates a euphoric effect for one to experience a heightened emotion.
The merchandises neatly displayed in the fashion similar to the museum artefacts; through touch panels centrally located within the shop, one can gain further understanding of the background stories of the merchandises. Although there is really no such field of study as “sneaker-ology”, by placing our design focus on ways to correctly understand the merchandises, it is for us an attempt at capturing “sneakers” in a scholarly fashion.
“That one is nice..... this one is nice too!”; There is no better way to shop than whilst enjoying an academic high.
Program: commercial fitout: retail
Project team: Olivia Shih, Yoshihito Kashiwagi
Location: Sydney, Australia
Main material: Plywood
Area: 55 m2
Photo: Katherine Lu
Structure: Simpson Design Associates
- Sinato raises an apartment ceiling to sq…ueeze in an extra floor
- Avanti restaurant by Studio OPA
- Beyond the Infinity by Serge Salat
- Aesop store by Studioilse
- The Surgery by Post-Office
- Straw and plaster-lined cafe by A1 Archi…tects based on Japanese tea houses
- Iceberg by Wouter Biegelaar at Icehotel
- Sestosenso by Paul Cocksedge for BMW and… FLOS
- Swedish shopping centre's swooping entra…nces "drag people inside" says architect
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories