Shoes are displayed in numbered slots on row after row of plywood shelves at this Sydney shop by Facet Studio of Sydney and Osaka.
Called Sneakerology, the shop displays sneakers in neatly ordered boxes, with each row staggered by half a unit.
Customers can learn more about each style using interactive screen in the centre.
See also: Habitat Antique by Facet Studio
Photographs are by Katherine Lu.
The information that follows is from Facet Studio:
A sneaker shop interpreted as a sneaker museum
In each of the 200mm x 600mm boxes, one by one, sneakers are carefully collected. The boxes are repeated, and offset by half unit on each level, and carried through repeatedly over an entire wall. Something which has little meaning on its own, when repeated 281 times over, it creates a euphoric effect for one to experience a heightened emotion.
The merchandises neatly displayed in the fashion similar to the museum artefacts; through touch panels centrally located within the shop, one can gain further understanding of the background stories of the merchandises. Although there is really no such field of study as “sneaker-ology”, by placing our design focus on ways to correctly understand the merchandises, it is for us an attempt at capturing “sneakers” in a scholarly fashion.
“That one is nice..... this one is nice too!”; There is no better way to shop than whilst enjoying an academic high.
Program: commercial fitout: retail
Project team: Olivia Shih, Yoshihito Kashiwagi
Location: Sydney, Australia
Main material: Plywood
Area: 55 m2
Photo: Katherine Lu
Structure: Simpson Design Associates
- Stella McCartney Las Vegas by APA
- Camper Together New York by Nendo
- Maggie’s Centre Cheltenham by MJP Arch…itects
- An Urban Refuge by Sergi Pons
- Louis Vuitton Maison by Peter Marino
- Illy Shop by Caterina Tiazzoldi
- Henry Wilson Studio converts former bake…ry into Sydney Aesop store
- Eley Kishimoto adds optical-illusion wal…lpaper to London patisserie
- The Commune by Geneva University of Art …and Design students
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories