Hats by Japanese milliner Akio Hirata appear to float between the floor and ceiling in this installation by Japanese designers Nendo.
The 4000 hats are suspended from invisible threads, surrounding visitors and appearing to hover like ghosts.
The majority of the hand-made hats are white, interspersed with the occasional coloured or patterned piece.
The installation forms part of a retrospective of Hirata Akio’s work at the Spiral Garden in Tokyo.
Photography is by Daici Ano.
Here are some more details from Nendo:
“Akio Hirata’s Exhibition of Hats”
The graphic and exhibition design for the first major Japanese retrospective of internationally-known milliner Hirata Akio’s seventy years of work. For the exhibition space, we wanted to make Hirata’s hats stand out.
The mass-produced non-woven fabric hats we created for the space are the antithesis of Hirata’s carefully handmade hats, and bring them into sharp relief through dramatic contrast.
Hirata oversaw the shape of these hats, which float and stream through the exhibition like ghosts or shells of the real hats exhibited. Some are exhibition stands; others become walls, ceilings and diffusers to scatter light through the space. Flooded with roughly 4000 of these ‘ghost hats’ as though shrouded in a cloud, the exhibition space softly invites visitors inside. There, they find not clear-cut paths to follow but an environment in which they can wander and discover Hirata’s creations as they like, as a way of physically experiencing the creative freedom that underlies Hirata’s work.
June 15th – July 3rd, 2011 at Spiral Garden
Address: 5-6-23 Minami-Aoyama, Minato-ku, Tokyo
- Office for Emu Films by Studio Swine
- Fiat Lux by Label Architecture
- Nendo's store interiors for Theory are m…odelled on road systems
- Worth Abbey by Heatherwick Studio
- MR Design Office by Schemata Architectur…e Office
- Neil Barrett Shop in Shop by Zaha Hadid …Architects
- AOO shop in Barcelona by Arquitectura-G …has a stepped sisal display platform
- Thomas Heatherwick beach cafe takes shap…e
- ON Headquarters with a pool of oil in th…e lobby by LSA Arquitectos and BLANCASMORAN
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories