Show RCA 2011: for those who'd rather be woken by a gentle breeze or the smell of coffee than a shrill alarm, Royal College of Art graduate Ki Hyun Kim has designed a clock that wakes users with the electrical appliance of their choice.
The Alternative Alarm Clock combines a digital clock with a two-socket extension lead.
It supplies power to a coffee maker, lamp, radio or fan when the alarm is activated rather than omitting sound itself.
The project can be seen at Show RCA 2011 in London until 3 July.
The information below is from Ki Hyun Kim:
Alternative Alarm Clock
More diverse senses; stimulation users' sense of hearing, sight, touch, smell or any other combination of senses, as an alternative of application about alarm, awakes people from sleep very gently and effectively.
In general, people stay a bit longer after alarm. While people linger, the body gets started with awaking its nerves and senses from deep sleep to work.
Alternative Alarm Clock is a combination of an alarm and an electric outlet which are common things in daily life and have a simple single function. It goes off on time users set and also supplies electric power through double sockets.
By putting together other products with it, this simple function does not gives opportunities to rebuild up fresh sorts of alarm to users but also allow many potential options stimulating different senses with ordinary electronic products around us.
126 x 93 x 47 mm
- Petal-shaped mobiles balance above GamFr…atesi's lounge at Stockholm Furniture Fair
- May Design Series 2015 to feature exhibi…tions of emerging talent
- Design Miami Chat Shows: Julia Lohmann
- Download issues four to eight of experim…ental Milan newspaper FOMO
- Amy Congdon's couture fashion integrates… textile design and tissue engineering
- Rocking Platforms by Constantinos Econom…ides
- Tyvek Vase by Jiwon Choi
- Mormor by Gry Fager for Normann Copenhag…en
- Joel Karlsson designs pebble-shaped pend…ant lights for Örsjö Belysning
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories