JDS Architects have won a competition to design a youth centre for Lille, France.
The Lil/Euralille Youth Centre will comprise a contorted triangular building, housing a youth hostel, a kindergarten and offices within its three corners.
These three blocks will each feature cantilevered corners and are to surround a central triangular courtyard.
This courtyard will slope up to a roof garden above the kindergarten and step onto decks above the youth hostel.
Here's a little more information from the architects:
JDS Architects have just signed the contract to execute their first French project for the city of Lille.
Over the past twenty years Lille has become a European hub; a destination for business and congress, a great place to study and live and also a tourist destination.
It is a city with a turbulent history of conquest and reconquest, a heritage as an important medieval city and later on enjoyed and sometimes suffered the title of Northern France industrial capital.
Our project emerges from the idea of creating an urban catalyst, accommodating three distinct programmes on a triangular site.
By placing a program in each point of the triangle we offer maximum privacy while allowing them a closeness and continuity of space, organised around a garden, like a cloister of calm in the center of the city.
The lifting of the mass of the programme at the corners illuminates and activates the adjacent public spaces and creates a continuity from outside to inside of the building.
Project: youth hostel, kindergarten, office
Budget: 12.150.000 EUR
Type: Invited Competition
Size: 6.980 m2
Client: SAEM Euralille
Status: 1st Prize 2011
Location: Lille, France
JDS Partner in Charge: Julien De Smedt
Project Leader: Renaud Pereira
Team: JDS, EGIS, Agence Franck Boutté Consultants, SL2EC
- Underwater hotel room opens off the coas…t of Zanzibar
- Rue Space's Casa #20 features a four-tie…red facade of translucent glass
- Green wall pioneer Patrick Blanc: "Now e…verybody is doing vertical gardens"
- The Clerkenwell Archway by Giles Miller
- Dezeen archive: underground architecture
- N-House by Takato Tamagami
- Tokyo house bridges the rooftops of a de…ntal surgery and garage
- Herringbone Houses by Alison Brooks Arch…itects
- Timber disks speckle the concave facades… of Studio Gang's Michigan college building
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories