This top-heavy house by Japanese architect Kota Mizuishi overlooks a river in west Tokyo.
The steel-clad upper floor of the two-storey House in Horinouchi cantilevers forward to create a small sheltered car parking space below.
This upper floor houses a bedroom, a kitchen/dining room and a living room, where two projecting windows integrate a narrow desk and a balcony.
A ladder leads up from this floor to a mezzanine loft.
A master bedroom and bathroom are located on the ground floor.
Photography is by Hiroshi Tanigawa.
Here's a little more text from Mizuishi:
River side house / House in Horinouchi
This is a very small house built on the triangle site where the river and the road were crossed and made to the acute angle.
For the dead-end road, it became a plan in various regulations for obtaining special permission.
Residents are husband and wife and a little girl.
Although it was a novel site of a limited area, since a river was faced through a bank and a promenade, I would like to design various relations with the river.
The building is the form that cut an acute angle part on a triangle plan derived from the site. Furthermore,it got the maximum volume of hip roof of three planes in restriction of setback-line.
Although the level 0 floor was a private space, it limits for dividing with the curtain of a race in the door, stairs, storage, etc. except for a bathroom. It enabled it to feel a spread.
The level+1 floor is devided into small areas by structural narrow walls, being connected with one by the ridgeline of a roof. So there are different open feelings and the relations with the river each.
1. dining&kitchen / The west side space up the stairs is the largest planarly, and has high ceiling with a feeling of rise towards the roof top.
2. living / The central space is low ceilinged,and has full-opening windows on both sides as a balcony and the bay window that spreads outward with a feeling of floating
3. spare room / The east side space in the deepest is a form which is narrowed down to the direction of flow of the river, and is a space watching the light to insert earlier of the abyss.
4. loft / The space with two skylights is a space looking down at the river and looking up at the sky.
The limited volume snuggles up to the river, and I think that I was able to make various space that can live while looking for a favorite place to stay.
Type: residential house
Architect: Kota Mizuishi / Mizuishi Architect Atelier
Structural engineer: Kentaro Nagasaka
Lighting designer: Tatsuoki Nakajima
Site area: 52.14m2
Building area: 29.07 m2
Total floor area: 55.24 m2
Build cost: 15,500,000 yen
Period: March,2010 - April,2011
- Centro de Recepción de Visitantes, Atap…uerca by a3gm + Mata y asociados
- Old Market Square Stage by 5468796 Archi…tecture
- Stretched fabric hides the windows and b…alconies of an artist's Hampstead home
- World Architecture Festival 2012: save 2…5% on entry fee
- Bar Guru Bar by KLab Architecture
- The Khan Shatyr Entertainment Centre by …Foster + Partners
- Atlantis by Gayle Chong Kwan
- Cabrela House by Orgânica Arquitectura
- Superstar: A Mobile Chinatown by MAD
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories