Charred timber lines this Thai bistro in Kuwait City by architect Rashed Alfoudari.
Pendant lamps with copper insides hang from the ceiling of the Ubon restaurant above rows of black and white furniture.
A kitchen at the rear of the restaurant is concealed behind a mirrored wall.
Photography is by AOK.
Here's some additional text from Alfoudari:
Ubon is a Thai bistro located in the core of kuwait city.
It overlooks Fahad Al salim street, a street well respected for it’s commerce back in the days.
The space program of this bistro requires an efficient design for all of the kitchen, storage, and toilet areas; allowing for a spacious dining area.
For this to be executed, the interior works where to be integrated with the existing structural elements in a harmonious manner.
The Burnt wood panels, infused with the golden copper elements surround the dining area portraying the asian influence of this bistro.
Pendant lights were added to soothe the dining area with their organic shape.
Adding to their relevance is the inner golden color they diffuse, a color that had great impact on thai cultural ornamentation.
Giving a visual continuity to the dining area where the wooden grains imprinted on the restroom’s concrete walls.
The contrast in color and material here is then unified by texture.
To continue the vertical pattern, the restroom was fitted with a suspended ceiling faucet along with an off-white standalone basin.
Architect: Rashed Alfoudari
Location: Salhiya, Kuwait City
Project Area: 60 sqm
Project Year: 2011
- London restaurant by Brinkworth resemble…s a ramshackle farm building
- Form Us With Love hops onto craft beer t…rend with laboratory-inspired exhibition
- CaSA renovates Rocha Apartment with an a…ssortment of tiles
- Yandex Saint Petersburg Office II by Za …Bor Architects
- Walmart office in Brazil has a crazy gol…f course on the roof
- Shopify offices by MSDS Studio feature m…eeting rooms designed to look like shipping containers
- Alter Ego by Studio Job
- Tokyo cafe interior by CUT Architectures… is modelled on a laboratory
- Neri&Hu's architecture "challenges the a…ccepted values of society"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories