A waterfall is one of the features of this cylindrical boathouse in Austin by Texan architects Bercy Chen Studio.
Located on the edge of Lake Austin, the Shore Vista Boat Dock also has a gently sloping staircase that curls around its two circular storeys.
A curved glass balustrade surrounds the first floor deck, but parts to let the gushing water flow down into the lake below.
Behind the waterfall, a lowered part of the ground floor deck creates a makeshift beach where children can play.
The boat slots into a recess in the deck, beside hanging woven seats that provide a place to relax.
Another boathouse we've featured on Dezeen has a glowing blue exterior - see that project here.
Photography is by Paul Bardagjy.
Here's a little more text from Bercy Chen Studio:
Shore Vista Boat House is located on a bend in Lake Austin across from Canyonland Nature Preserve in Austin, Texas.
The site is suggestive of the elliptical form that maximizes the beautiful views of the undulating hills beyond.
Rounded edges of the dock, along with the curved glass railing, peel away, allowing more of the landscape to be captured into the visual frame.
Access is provided to the lake level via a series of stepping‐stones and a sweeping, gently inclined, curved stairs to the second level.
A lowered beach area, allowing one to ease effortlessly into the water, is strategically located at the basin of a waterfall, providing endless hours of enjoyment for the owners’ young children.
- 3D-scanning technology will enable citie…s to exist in "both a virtual and a physical form"
- Basket Apartments by OFIS Arhitekti
- OLS House by J. Mayer H.
- Ta Lee Plaza by UNStudio
- Cabaret Voltaire by Designliga
- Baeza Town Hall by Viar Estudio
- Gablepack by AND features a facade of ho…use-shaped windows
- MIMA House in Alentejo is the latest in …a series of prefabricated Portuguese homes
- Sheraton Huzhou Hot Spring Resort by MAD… - more photos
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories