A waterfall is one of the features of this cylindrical boathouse in Austin by Texan architects Bercy Chen Studio.
Located on the edge of Lake Austin, the Shore Vista Boat Dock also has a gently sloping staircase that curls around its two circular storeys.
A curved glass balustrade surrounds the first floor deck, but parts to let the gushing water flow down into the lake below.
Behind the waterfall, a lowered part of the ground floor deck creates a makeshift beach where children can play.
The boat slots into a recess in the deck, beside hanging woven seats that provide a place to relax.
Another boathouse we've featured on Dezeen has a glowing blue exterior - see that project here.
Photography is by Paul Bardagjy.
Here's a little more text from Bercy Chen Studio:
Shore Vista Boat House is located on a bend in Lake Austin across from Canyonland Nature Preserve in Austin, Texas.
The site is suggestive of the elliptical form that maximizes the beautiful views of the undulating hills beyond.
Rounded edges of the dock, along with the curved glass railing, peel away, allowing more of the landscape to be captured into the visual frame.
Access is provided to the lake level via a series of stepping‐stones and a sweeping, gently inclined, curved stairs to the second level.
A lowered beach area, allowing one to ease effortlessly into the water, is strategically located at the basin of a waterfall, providing endless hours of enjoyment for the owners’ young children.
- House in Fukuyama by Suppose Design Offi…ce
- Weathered steel sits alongside ageing br…ickwork at Kew House by Piercy & Company
- CF Møller completes red brick facility …for the Danish Meat Research Institute
- National Museum of Qatar by Jean Nouvel
- White Arkitekter adds corrugated copper …walls to Norway's Bråtejordet School
- Richard Rogers wins Pritzker Prize
- Loducca building in São Paulo by Tripty…que
- Mihaly Slocombe extends vineyard home in… Australia with wooden nursery
- Farewell Chapel by OFIS Arhitekti
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories