Jars of colourful preserves are treated like precious antiques at this Paris jam shop by French architects Noël Dominguez and Agathe Delecourt.
Rows of the glass pots are arranged in neat rows on the curved plywood shelves of La Chambre aux Confitures, as well as on crystal platters and inside bell jars.
The curved shelves create an oval-shaped outline around the interior of the shop.
Copper-fronted cabinets in one corner fold open to reveal a cooking demonstration area.
Photography is by Fred Toulet.
Here's a description of the project from Noël Dominguez:
« La Chambre aux Confitures »
At No. 9 rue des Martyrs in the ninth arrondissement of Paris, we are invited to design the first boutique of La Chambre aux Confitures.
The existing local presently exhibits various unfavourable characteristics: single orientation, ambiguous contours, bearing point at the center of gravity... We envision a new room with clear boundaries, in the shape of the ellipse.
In between we create a large birch plywood cabinet that presents the essential La Chambre aux Confitures products- small glass jars and their precious contents.
Three elements punctuate this project: the two entrances (to the street and to the court) which are treated wood in flat screen, and the copper details that show when the panels are deployed during cooking demonstrations/recipe presentations.
This project celebrates the relevance of the theme of the store ("The House").
We anticipate the creation of the first cell of the plan (the room) and its architectural space- structure, function and creative illumination.
Client: La Chambre aux Confitures – Lise Bienaimé
Cost HT: 60 000 Euros
Surface: 25 sqm
Team: Noël Dominguez Architect, representative. Arnold Bogat, collaborator Agathe Delecourt and Noémi Langlois-Meurinne, designers involved
Calendar: March to September 2011
Businesses: LMP (TCE), Titom (Joinery), 5 and Co (Locksmith), Ets. Maestrini (Glass and facade), Granito (Floor)
- Kengo Kuma suspends wooden barrels over …Japanese soy-sauce shop
- Philips Wing by Cruz y Ortiz completes t…he 11-year renovation of the Rijksmuseum
- The JWT Agency by Mathieu Lehanneur
- London cafe interior by TwistInArchitect…ure references city's commercial history
- Rainbow Church by Tokujin Yoshioka
- Studioilse sets up camp in Danish design… gallery The Apartment
- Ciop Ciop by Martynas Kazimierėnas and …Paulius Vitkauskas
- Staggered signage hides the contents of …Amsterdam design shop by i29
- The Culture of Smoking by Brigada
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories