Hadid, who was born in Iraq, signed an agreement at a ceremony held at the Victoria & Albert Museum in London.
Here's some more information from Zaha Hadid Architects:
Zaha Hadid Architects and Central Bank of Iraq sign agreement for new headquarters
Zaha Hadid joined H.E. Dr Sinan Al-Shabibi, Governor of the Central Bank of Iraq (CBI) at a ceremony to sign the agreement between the CBI and Zaha Hadid Architects (ZHA) for the design stages of the new CBI Headquarters building. The ceremony was hosted at the Victoria & Albert Museum by H.E. Dr Muhielddin Hussein Abdullah, Charges d'Affaires of the Iraqi Embassy.
ZHA have already completed the client’s Brief Development and will immediately commence the design process for the new CBI Headquarters to be built on the shores of the Tigris River in Baghdad. ZHA will lead the international team of specialist consultants including: Adams Kara Taylor, Max Fordham, Newtecnic, DEGW, Gross Max, Davis Langdon, Arup, Warringtonfire, Winton Nightingale and A2 Project Managers.
Dr Sinan Al-Shabibi said: “The new building shall be a symbol of the Bank’s role in the economic development of Iraq and a reflection of the determination to rebuild the country.”
Zaha Hadid said: “I am deeply touched that I have been asked to design the new headquarters for the Central Bank of Iraq. I was born in Iraq and I still feel very close to it. I feel very privileged to be working in Iraq on a design of such national importance.”
- World Architecture Festival 2012: Univ…ersita Luigi Bocconi by Grafton Architects
- Huntingdon Estate by AL_A
- Airstream House by Tank Architectes
- Live Wire by Oyler Wu
- Museum in Palmiry by WXCA
- "This isn't just some iconic skyscrape…r" - Steven Holl on Sliced Porosity Block
- Y house by Beijing Matsubara and Archi…tects
- Pasarela del Postiguet by bgstudio
- OMA's Fondazione Prada art centre open…s in Milan
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories