A shiny copper chapel hovers above the entrance to this Catholic school in Gloucestershire, England, by London studio Nicholas Hare Architects.
The academy accommodates a secondary school and a sixth form college, both accessed through a curved atrium with a three-storey-high glazed facade.
A winding staircase connects the ground floor reception with two overlooking galleries, which stretch along the length of the atrium and lead to classrooms in three branching wings.
Each floor features walls painted in a different colour to help students and visitors get to know their way around.
Academies are a new kind of state-maintained but independently-run school in the UK - check out the Zaha Hadid-designed academy in south London that won the Stirling Prize last year.
Photography is by Hufton + Crow.
Here's some more information from Nicholas Hare Architects:
All Saints' Academy is a church school for the community. The academy is sponsored by the Clifton RC Diocese and the Gloucester C of E Diocese. It provides secondary education for 900 pupils and 250 sixth formers.
The heart of the new building is its entrance atrium. The glazed atrium forms a focus for community activity. Its vibrant space is dominated by a sculptural stair which links the curved galleries at each level.
The copper-clad form of the chapel stands at one end, above the entrance.
The learning resource centre, assembly hall and dining area are all reached directly from the atrium.
The galleries lead to three radiating learning wings providing most of the classroom accommodation.
Staff spaces are placed along the galleries so that they form a threshold to the more private learning wings.
At ground level large windows provide views into the wings of display areas for the celebration of students’ work.
Externally, the areas around the building provide many opportunities that encourage outdoor learning.
Click above for larger image
- Liszt Concert Hall by Atelier Kempe Th…ill
- Apollo Architects specifies concrete a…nd plastic for Frame house in Tokyo
- Parisian nursery by Samuel Delmas cons…ists of a pile of irregularly stacked boxes
- Toda House by Kimihiko Okada
- Moses Mabhida Stadium by GMP Architekt…en
- Sofitel Lyon Bellecour by Patrick Norg…uet
- The Lanes by Mole Architects
- Voivodeship Police Headquarters by Poz…nań Projekt and mode:lina architekci
- René van Zuuk creates a wavy pier wit…h an integrated lightbox over an Almere lake
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories