A shiny copper chapel hovers above the entrance to this Catholic school in Gloucestershire, England, by London studio Nicholas Hare Architects.
The academy accommodates a secondary school and a sixth form college, both accessed through a curved atrium with a three-storey-high glazed facade.
A winding staircase connects the ground floor reception with two overlooking galleries, which stretch along the length of the atrium and lead to classrooms in three branching wings.
Each floor features walls painted in a different colour to help students and visitors get to know their way around.
Academies are a new kind of state-maintained but independently-run school in the UK - check out the Zaha Hadid-designed academy in south London that won the Stirling Prize last year.
Photography is by Hufton + Crow.
Here's some more information from Nicholas Hare Architects:
All Saints' Academy is a church school for the community. The academy is sponsored by the Clifton RC Diocese and the Gloucester C of E Diocese. It provides secondary education for 900 pupils and 250 sixth formers.
The heart of the new building is its entrance atrium. The glazed atrium forms a focus for community activity. Its vibrant space is dominated by a sculptural stair which links the curved galleries at each level.
The copper-clad form of the chapel stands at one end, above the entrance.
The learning resource centre, assembly hall and dining area are all reached directly from the atrium.
The galleries lead to three radiating learning wings providing most of the classroom accommodation.
Staff spaces are placed along the galleries so that they form a threshold to the more private learning wings.
At ground level large windows provide views into the wings of display areas for the celebration of students’ work.
Externally, the areas around the building provide many opportunities that encourage outdoor learning.
Click above for larger image
- Maxime Delvaux's realistic photos of stu…dent models offer an alternative to 3D renders
- House in Saka by Suppose Design Office
- Townhouse in Landskrona by Elding Oscars…on
- Suppose Design Office's ￼House in Hiba…ru stretches down to the edge of a reservoir
- "This isn't just some iconic skyscraper"… - Steven Holl on Sliced Porosity Block
- Design Museum by John Pawson
- Tianzhoushan Tea House by Archiplein
- Multi Mill by NL Architects
- Bow House by Edwards Moore has a narrow …middle that frames a patio
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories