Recently established Norwegian architecture studio Gartnerfuglen have created a mobile fisherman's hut with walls of ice, where a single inhabitant can isolate themselves from modern technology.
Once folded open, the chicken wire-clad walls and roof of the hut are filled with lake water to create the icy windscreen.
The architects hope that climbing plants will grow around these wire walls in the summer months.
For more stories about projects in Norway, take a look here.
Photography is by Astrid Rohde Wang and Olav Lunde Arneberg.
Here's some text from Gartnerfuglen:
Noun 1. Unavailability - the quality of not being available when needed
As the smartphone is slowly taking over society, more and more people treasure the feeling when their battery runs out.
This small shelter for unavailability follows the seasons as it is built with and by nature. The shelter's construction is foldable for easy relocation and storage. It is effortlessly put up anywhere by one (or two small) persons in 30 seconds.
In winter its walls are filled with panels of ice, cast in snow.
The ice panels function as a first skin against the harsh winter winds, creating a pocket of heated air and tranquillity, as the cold light of the setting sun is diffused through the frozen water.
Used as an ice fishing shanty, lake water can be used to form the walls. Lit inside with a candle, the shelter will light up like a lantern.
When the weather gets warmer the bare chicken wire walls will serve as support for climbing plants, and form a green transportable gazebo providing fresh cool air for its occupant. Edible climbers like sweet peas, tomatoes and cucumbers will thrive and add to your evening salad.
- Casa MO by Gonzalo Mardones Viviani nest…les against the coastline in Chile
- Parachute cables form netted balustrades… at Fraher Architects' London studio
- Pleats.M by Hironaka Ogawa
- Nest and Cave House by Idis Turato
- House S by Keiji Ashizawa Design
- Folly by Baumhauer
- Tianjin Ecocity Ecology and Planning Mus…eums by Steven Holl Architects
- House with Concrete Louvers by StudioGre…enBlue
- The New Dance and Music Centre in The Ha…gue by RAU Architects & Powerhouse Company
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories