Movie: in this interview filmed at the Italian Cultural Institute in London yesterday, Dezeen editor-in-chief Marcus Fairs speaks to architect David Chipperfield, director of the 13th Venice Architecture Biennale.
Chipperfield speaks about Common Ground, his theme for the biennale, and gives his views on the contemporary architecture scene, comparing architects to "perfume brands at Duty Free, on a pedestal, singular and isolated" and says: "[Architects] don't have common ground between ourselves and the public".
The Italian Cultural Institute was the venue of Friday's press conference to launch the 13th Venice Architecture Biennale, which takes place from 29 August to 25 November. Read more here.
- Garden studio by Serge Schoemaker has a …dark, rough exterior and a light-filled interior
- Jameson House by Foster + Partners
- Schuler Villa by Andrea Pelati Architect…e
- Wooden sheds by Architekti DRNH offer ga…rdening facilities for a Renaissance chateau
- Balancing Act by Ensamble Studio
- The Spiral by Marra + Yeh Architects
- House in Geochang by Studio GAON
- New Town Library in Maranello by Arata I…sozaki and Andrea Maffei
- MAD wants to "invent a new typology" for… high-rise architecture, says Ma Yansong
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories