The Palmeira bench, cabinet and chair comprise asphalt moulded by hand over steel pipes while warm and pliable. The seams of the Repaired Vessels are defined with yellow paint.
Each was made with the help of workers at a road-resurfacing site.
Here's some more information from Bitelli:
Palmeira Bench, Cabinet, Chair and Repaired Vessels in asphalt and line paint
The complex web of roads spanning and dissecting Britain, like the railways, support and connect all other industries.
If laid well, roads have a lifespan of fifteen years. While these esoteric events are integral to the smooth running of everyday life, they are seen as little more than an inconvenience.
I have borrowed tools, materiality process and knowledge from these craftsmen. The manipulation of this very industrial material is a sort of speculative playfulness that could be applied to all other industrial activity.
While hinting at other lost potential, I direct a looking glass to the people behind these events and the energy that is spent to keep something seamless.
- Metrobowl by Frederik Roijé
- N12 3D-printed bikini by Continuum Fas…hion and Shapeways
- Whistle wearable technology for dogs l…ets owners monitor pet activity
- FID celebrates native Italian material… with Terracotta Everyday collection
- Moments in Time by Dominic Wilcox
- Bodo Sperlein chandeliers for Lladró
- Nara by Shin Azumi for Fredericia
- Honey bees can be trained to detect ca…ncer "in ten minutes" says designer
- Buildings of Disaster in gold by Const…antin and Laurene Boym
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories