Dezeen Wire: new Royal College of Art dean of architecture Alex de Rijke will steer students away from proposing unrealisable "paper architecture" and instead focus on how their ideas could be built (+ movie).
In an interview with Dezeen at the RCA Show 2012 last month, de Rijke said: "Historically [at the RCA] there's always been a very strong agenda on paper architecture - the speculative, the work that is provocative but not necessarily make-able."
In future, "Students will be encouraged to speculate not just about future uses or programmes or places, but actually speculate about how they will be built," de Rijke says. "Material experiment will very much become part of the course."
Movie: tour of Architecture at Show RCA 2012
with Alex de Rijke
- Liangzhu Culture Museum by David Chipper…field Architects
- Delta House by Yoshiyasu Mizuno centres …around a triangular courtyard
- Museo ABC by Aranguren + Gallegos
- Stilted woodland cabin by ALT Architekti… boasts a spiralling metal staircase
- Dutchess House No. 1 by Grzywinski + Pon…s
- Te Wero Bridge by Denton Corker Marshall…
- Mountain Cabin by Marte.Marte Architects
- A tube of striped orange wood encloses M…ax Pritchard's treetop studio
- Redbridge Welcome Centre by Peter Barber… Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories