The Voivodeship Police Headquarters in Poznań was redesigned to improve disabled access to the building and create a modern interior for the police department.
Inside the building, sharp corners have been smoothed off and the walls, floors and ceilings are painted white and dark grey.
The flashes of blue on the reception desk and chairs hint at the official function of the building.
The interior was completely remodelled but the design of the exterior was partly determined by the building's heritage status.
Photographs are by Marcin Ratajczak.
Here's some more text from the architects:
Pracownia Architektoniczna and Poznań Projekt, in collaboration with mode:lina architekci, have designed the main entrance to the Voivodeship Police Headquarters in Poznań, situated in a building which is a part of a historic urban structure.
The aim of this renovation was to adjust the entrance for disabled users as well as set a new standard for police interiors. In order to provide equal chances to enter the building some rough cuts and changes were made. While the exterior part had to be approved by city's heritage conservator, architects had a free hand to design the interior.
'Simple and clear' - that was how we planned to design the interior. We decided to use white and dark grey as a background for blue – an official police colour. The main circulation is marked in white both on the floor and the Barrisol LED-lit ceiling.
Click above for larger image
Blue splashes on the reception desk and furniture leave no doubt that you are in the Police Headquarters. Even though being a policeman is tough, we softened the appearance of the interior by rounding all the angles and corners.
- Les Lauréades by Lanoire & Courrian
- FAT bring together postwar towns and pop… culture for British Pavilion in Venice
- Tampa Museum of Art by Stanley Saitowitz
- Casa Alta by AS/D Asociación de Diseño
- The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Mé…sarchitectures
- Bright red mirrors clad Jean Nouvel's ad…dition to a French wine-making estate
- Sundial House by Hironaka Ogawa
- Angular brick gables frame Kings College… Library by Mitchell Taylor Workshop
- Unou house by Katsutoshi Sasaki + Associ…ates
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories