This concrete house in Switzerland by Basel studio on3 architekten has gabled end walls that appear folded along central vertical seams (+slideshow).
An exposed concrete staircase connects the three storeys of Wohnhaus Ginkgo and is suspended behind a balustrade of taught wires between the two upper floors.
A large dormer window increases the amount of inhabitable space on the top floor, which overlooks the corridor on the floor below.
Photography is by Börje Müller.
The text below is from on3 architekten:
The house is located in the center of Oberwil, in the north of Switzerland.
The neighbourhood is designed by older one family houses and small stores. Due to its geometry, the house offers an unconventional floor plan with comfort, flexibility and space to move.
As the rooms are linked and correspond to each other, they are ideal for family life with space for individual creativity.
The open kitchen and the living room, which are on the same level as the terrace in the garden, form one area.
A large glass facade is the only separation between the interior and the external space. The two upper floors offer private rooms, seperated by sliding doors.
Site plan- click above for larger image
The gallery in the attic gives a wonderful view over the roofs of Oberwil and completes the concept of the flexible and open floor plans. The centre of the house is a stair made of exposed concrete.
Ground floor plan- click above for larger image
It connects the house in the vertical.
First floor plan- click above for larger image
The robust and massive concrete sets a contrast to the fine, light white oak parquet floor.
Second floor plan- click above for larger image
A special feature of the house is the frameless, partly room-high glazing.
Longitudinal section- click above for larger image
Thematically, they are used in every room and open the house to the external space. Thus, the rooms receive a generous, light and friendly atmosphere.
Cross section- click above for larger image
- Granite-clad library by Carr Cotter & Na…essens faces out over the Irish Sea
- elBulli Pavilion by Rodero Beggiao Archi…tects
- OMA's Fondazione Prada art centre opens …in Milan
- Mirror lab by VAV Architects
- Renzo Piano designs glass "organic creat…ure" to house Pathé Foundation
- Living in a park by MAB Arquitectura
- Philippe Baumann's Courtyard House is sh…ielded behind a metal mesh cage
- Elsa Urquijo's campus for a Spanish char…ity is made up of "serene" white buildings
- Curving voids pierce the floors of Antti…nen Oiva Architects' Helsinki library
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories