Fashion brand Louis Vuitton has collaborated with Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama to create a collection of garments featuring Kusama's obsessional polka dot patterns for a concept store at Selfridges department store in London (+ slideshow).
Well known for her repeating spot patterns, painter, poet and performer Kusama has lived voluntarily in a psychiatric institution since 1977 after battling with her obsessions from a young age.
Following Louis Vuitton's sponsorship of Kusama's Tate exhibition earlier this year and inspired by her repetitive designs, the brand has created materials, bags and shoes covered in bright red, yellow and black polka dots.
The concept store is also immersed in polka dots: perforated giant lamps hang over display tables while walls, floors and display cabinets are covered in an infinity of bright dots in various sizes.
The collection includes a plastic trench coat that makes the wearer appear as though they're painted with spots, an idea Kusama explored in her early works.
Twenty four Selfridges display windows have been dedicated to the Vuitton & Kusama Collection and inside visitors are instructed to follow the red dots along the shop floor leading to the store and a life size, polka dot-clad model of Kusama herself.
Louis Vuitton & Kusama concept store at Selfridges London will remain open until 1 October.
- Baker D Chirico by March Studio
- Replay by Vertical Garden Design and Stu…dio 10
- Sjötorget Kindergarten by Rotstein Arki…tekter
- Edison House by Adjaye Associates
- Bobby Gin Cocktail Bar by Normal
- GRAB Thai Street Kitchen by Mansikkamäk…i+JOY
- Aesop at Merci by March Studio
- Zaha Hadid's boutique for Stuart Weitzma…n opens in Hong Kong
- Apartment in San Sebastian by Pauzarq
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories