In this next movie in our series filmed with Marc Newson in his London studio he tells us about the watches he's designed, including the first ones that he built himself in the late 1980s. Update: this interview is featured in Dezeen Book of Interviews, which is on sale now for £12.
Flicking through a proof of his new book for publishers Taschen, Newson shows a 1:1 image of a model from 1986 that's as big as his fist, saying "I pre-dated the trend for large watches by about a decade."
Newson also talks about jewellery he's designed, the huge glass Atmos clocks powered by tiny changes in temperature (above) and the hourglass full of ball-bearings that was his last product for the Ikepod watch brand he founded (below).
Called Marc Newson – Works, the book comes out in September.
If you're fond of designer watches, check out our curated collection on www.dezeenwatchstore.com.
- All Lovely Stuff at Interiors UK
- Fashion fabric brand Vlisco to work with… "a list of designers"
- Haim Evgi crafts wooden balanced-arm TZA…P lamps
- Dezeen's Imagine Shop at Selfridges feat…ures augmented-reality watch store and Zaha yacht
- Design Miami Chat Shows: Ross Lovegrove
- Parrish by Konstantin Grcic for Emeco
- C58 Dressing Table by Florian Schmid
- Penny Webb's homeware changes colour in …response to breath, touch or movement
- Kami pots by Ett La Benn
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories