Following yesterday's story about a skyscraper that resembles a pair of trousers (above), here are some more looky-likey towers including one that readers have compared to a stack of toilet rolls and another that looks like a sex toy.
Jean Nouvel's proposal for a high-rise office building in Doha (above) was widely compared to a dildo and a penis by readers when we first published it in 2007 and is now nearing completion.
Asymptote Architecture's tower for Seoul (above) has been compared to both a toilet-roll holder and a cam shaft by our readers. The proposal is one of many for the new Yongsan International Business District of Seoul masterplanned by Daniel Libeskind. It will be 153 metres tall and comprise two skyscrapers connected by a bridge 125 metres up.
This pair of linked towers by MVRDV (above), also designed for the same development in Seoul, caused outrage when it was interpreted as representing the exploding World Trade Centre on 9/11. The furor started with readers' comments on our story was soon picked up by the media including the New York Post and the BBC. MVRDV made an official statement on their Facebook page to apologise and claimed that they simply didn't see the resemblance during the design process.
Finally, there's Zaha Hadid's Lilium Tower for Warsaw (above), which commenters informed us was "already called The Tampon in Warsaw" when we first showed images of the design in 2008. The 250 metre tower will contain luxury apartments and a hotel, and is currently under construction.
Update 7/9/12: since publishing this list we're compelled to add the new extension to the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam by Benthem Crouwel Architects, compared to a "big sink" by our readers and a "bathtub" by the architects themselves.
Update 24/11/13: Zaha Hadid's proposed Al Wakrah stadium for Qatar has been compared to a vagina.
- National Ecology Center botanic greenhou…ses by Grimshaw and Samoo
- Temple to Perspective by Tom Greenall an…d Jordan Hodgson for Alain de Botton
- New Tamayo Museum by Rojkind Arquitectos… and BIG
- OMA to publish study of Gulf urbanism
- Auditorium in the Church of Saint Franci…s' Convent by David Closes
- Sand-bag houses by MMA Architects
- B.E. Architecture adds gridded glass roo…ms to a Melbourne residence
- Guarujá House by Bernardes + Jacobsen
- Dezeen's A-Zdvent calendar: Richard Roge…rs and Renzo Piano
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories