Long, narrow shophouses are a typical building typology in Southeast Asia and the Pool Shophouse is one of eight renovated properties in the Lorong 24A Shophouse Series, for which various architects were asked to adapt and extend properties in the Geylang neighbourhood.
Architects Tiah Nan Chyuan and Lee Hui Lian explain how they wanted to create "an insertion" rather than "an extension" to the building. "One experiences the continuity of space through a series of stairs that loop through the shophouse," they say.
The staircases they refer to zigzag back and forth through the house to connect the three existing floors with the four-storey extension, which contains bedrooms within its upper storeys.
Narrow strips of lighting highlight the gaps between these new staircases and the exposed brick walls of the original building.
Light filters into the house through a skylight at the centre, which is screened behind a louvred ceiling.
Photographer Peter Nitsch also documented shophouses in a series of images from 2010.
Photography is by Jeremy San.
Here's some project details from FARM:
The Pool Shophouse
Location: Lorong 24A Geylang, Singapore
Design Consultants: FARM in collaboration with KD Architects
Design team: Kurjanto Slamet, Tiah Nan Chyuan, Lee Hui Lian
Land area: (in m2) 143.30 sqm
Built-in GFA: (in m2) 366.94 sqm
Project Year: 2012
Ground floor plan - click above for larger image
First floor plan - click above for larger image
Second floor plan - click above for larger image
Third floor plan - click above for larger image
Roof plan - click above for larger image
Long section 1 - click above for larger image
Long section 2 - click above for larger image
Front and rear elevations - click above for larger image
- Silo Stay Little River by F3 Design
- Heydar Aliyev Center was "an incredibly …ambitious project" says Zaha Hadid
- "The addition of real-world imperfection…s is taking architectural visualisation to the next level"
- Hylozoic Ground by Philip Beesley
- Urban Collage by Maison Edouard Françoi…s
- Qatar Petroleum grounds by Martha Schwar…tz Partners
- The Sackler Building by Haworth Tompkins
- Timber clads interior and exterior of Kl…einkindhaus nursery in Germany
- West Virginia treehouse by Mithun hosts …the American boy scouts' Jamboree
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories