The buildings of Lyon are pulled apart in these impossible photographs by Norwegian artist Espen Dietrichson.
The series is entitled Variations On a Dark City and forms part of the artist's One of Many Unusual Moments exhibition on show at the Galerie Roger Tator in Lyon.
For each image the walls and roof of a building are moved apart into the sky, just like the exploded axonometric diagrams drafted by architects.
"The series of modified or levitated architecture started as my first interest when I went to art academy," Dietrichson told Dezeen.
Above: exhibition view is by David Desaleux
Explaining his technique, he said: "The photos are made half manually and half digitally. The technical drawing of the explosion is hand-drawn on paper, and after the first cut and paste almost all of the end-process is digital, before the silkscreening."
- Community Centre of La Candida by Adamo …Faiden
- Tour Signal shortlist
- J House by Isolation Unit and Yosuke Ich…ii
- Studio R by Studio MK27
- Park Avenue South by Studio Octopi
- The Guangyun Entrance by Plasma Studio
- Movie: Gyre "The Swirl" by MVRDV
- Gimme Shelter! by Sebastián Irarrázava…l and Hugo Mondragón
- 14 Official Proteccion Housing in Ibiza …by Castell-Pons Arquitectes
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories