Here's a movie showing the concept animations, construction and testing of the London 2012 Olympic cauldron by British designer Thomas Heatherwick. Above: footage by LOCOG/Heatherwick Studio. Edited by the V&A museum.
The movie by the V&A museum shows the forging of the 204 copper petals and the testing of the concentric mechanised stems that rise in simultaneously to bring the petals together and form the cauldron.
Above: 'Petal' prototype commissioned by LOCOG. Photograph by the V&A museum.
After its debut, Heatherwick was inundated with messages of support from people “moved by his spectacular creation”, the designer told the Independant.
Above: scale model of the Olympic cauldron. Photograph by the V&A museum.
- Eurovisions by Fantastic Norway
- Love With You music video by Harald Hara…ldsson
- Piqué and Double Piqué by Studio Glith…ero
- Chambre d'Ami by Matali Crasset for Camp…eggi
- Martino Gamper plays with perspective fo…r Prada window installations
- Eggwave by WertelOberfell for Neff
- "Digital technology will continue to dis…appear"
- Fanions by Dimitri Bähler, Linn Kandel …and Ismaël Studer
- Bathrooms aren't getting bigger; good de…sign is about "optimising the space"
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories