Studiomama is run by Danish designer Nina Tolstrup, who found a pile of disused furniture near her east London studio from which she salvaged a selection of chairs.
The chairs were stripped down to their frames before new seats, backrests and armrests were added, then finished with colourful paint and upholstery.
Dezeen has been commissioned to curate a collection of products designed by east London creatives that live near to new housing development VIVO and we will be publishing more designs as they are added to the collection during the next month. See all the stories we have published so far here.
The designs will be on show as part of a collection of 30 works of art, fashion, sculpture and furniture celebrating local talent that will be exhibited at the Genesis Cinema in October and then donated to the VIVO residents – find out more here.
Here's some information from Studiomama:
Re-Imagine is a project born out of questioning our resourcefulness and our attitudes towards waste.
It builds on the Studiomama’s interests in expediency and re-using the existing, and speaks of our ability to see the potential in the overlooked and unloved.
As with Pallet Project, there is a message contained in ‘Re-Imagine’ and that is to inspire and encourage us to look again at the unloved furniture in our homes, streets and markets and to make it anew.
This is not just a sustainable approach to design and making, but a social one too; through working together with local craft people and pooling resources we can re-imagine the second-hand and redesign our everyday surroundings with our own touch of personality.
- Photos of Covent Garden Super Design
- "Customers grow old with our shoes, not …bored with them" - Tracey Neuls
- Biomega launches KiBiSi-designed NYC cit…y bike
- Joris Laarman works with Opel
- Antony Gormley occupies French gallery w…ith monumental metal sculptures
- Nir Meiri's double-headed 2 Moons lamp m…imics celestial bodies
- Modern Times by Johannes Tjernberg & Ras…mus Malbert
- Disposable canvas layers rejuvenate Mode…l 1 shoes by Lou Moria
- Nano Vent-Skin by Agustin Otegu
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories