World Architecture Festival 2012: Heart of Doha, a 31-hectare masterplan designed by AECOM for the gateway to Inner Doha has been named Future Project of the Year at the World Architecture Festival in Singapore.
Currently under construction, the project will form a gateway to the city that connects it with the waterfront, as well as with existing and proposed airports.
The architects studied historical aerial photographs of Doha to develop a layout that follows traditional Qatari street patterns, then superimposed it over an orthogonal grid to allow room for modern day vehicles.
The combination of these two layouts, which the architects refer to as "the grid and the lattice", will create a complex web of streets that respect the Arab/Islamic vernacular, and are also oriented to capture the north-westerly sea breeze.
Dezeen is media partner for the World Architecture Festival, which is taking place at the Marina Bay Sands hotel and conference centre. You can follow all our coverage of the event here, including a series of movies we filmed with programme director Paul Finch in the build-up to the event.
- Watercube by PTW Architects
- The Sackler Building by Haworth Tompki…ns
- National Glass Museum Holland by Burea…u SLA
- Prefabricated modular home by MAPA del…ivered to the Brazilian countryside
- Auditorium and Congress Palace Infanta… Doña Elena by Estudio Barozzi Veiga
- Domino Sugar by SHoP Architects and Ja…mes Corner Field Operations
- Golden State Warriors arena by Snøhet…ta and AECOM
- Nestlé Chocolate Museum by Metro
- Cleveland Museum of Art East Wing by R…afael Viñoly Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories