World Architecture Festival 2012: Heart of Doha, a 31-hectare masterplan designed by AECOM for the gateway to Inner Doha has been named Future Project of the Year at the World Architecture Festival in Singapore.
Currently under construction, the project will form a gateway to the city that connects it with the waterfront, as well as with existing and proposed airports.
The architects studied historical aerial photographs of Doha to develop a layout that follows traditional Qatari street patterns, then superimposed it over an orthogonal grid to allow room for modern day vehicles.
The combination of these two layouts, which the architects refer to as "the grid and the lattice", will create a complex web of streets that respect the Arab/Islamic vernacular, and are also oriented to capture the north-westerly sea breeze.
Dezeen is media partner for the World Architecture Festival, which is taking place at the Marina Bay Sands hotel and conference centre. You can follow all our coverage of the event here, including a series of movies we filmed with programme director Paul Finch in the build-up to the event.
- 13 projects that could change the face o…f London
- The Architectural Ride at Battersea Powe…r Station by Atelier Zündel Cristea
- Za-Koenji Public Theatre by Toyo Ito
- V on Shenton by UNStudio
- Beach house by Ruhl Walker Architects de…signed to "curve and shift" with the landscape
- House K by Hiroyuki Shinozaki Architects
- Unou house by Katsutoshi Sasaki + Associ…ates
- 10 Hills Place by Amanda Levete Architec…ts
- Benozzo Gozzoli Museum by Massimo Marian…i
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories