World Architecture Festival 2012: Heart of Doha, a 31-hectare masterplan designed by AECOM for the gateway to Inner Doha has been named Future Project of the Year at the World Architecture Festival in Singapore.
Currently under construction, the project will form a gateway to the city that connects it with the waterfront, as well as with existing and proposed airports.
The architects studied historical aerial photographs of Doha to develop a layout that follows traditional Qatari street patterns, then superimposed it over an orthogonal grid to allow room for modern day vehicles.
The combination of these two layouts, which the architects refer to as "the grid and the lattice", will create a complex web of streets that respect the Arab/Islamic vernacular, and are also oriented to capture the north-westerly sea breeze.
Dezeen is media partner for the World Architecture Festival, which is taking place at the Marina Bay Sands hotel and conference centre. You can follow all our coverage of the event here, including a series of movies we filmed with programme director Paul Finch in the build-up to the event.
- Aggrenad hotel by AND
- Social Housing Tower in Plaza Europa by …R+B Arqts
- Bus stops by Sou Fujimoto and Wang Shu s…hake up an Austrian village
- The Cross-Gate by Ivo Pavlik
- 3.1 Phillip Lim Seoul Flagship by Leong …Leong
- Cerise walls frame rooftop garden of hou…sing block by Pietri Architectes
- House DZ in Mullem by Graux & Baeyens Ar…chitecten
- Roslyn Street Bar and Restaurant by Durb…ach Block Architects
- The Yorkshire Diamond Pavilion by Variou…s Architects
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories