World Architecture Festival 2012: Heart of Doha, a 31-hectare masterplan designed by AECOM for the gateway to Inner Doha has been named Future Project of the Year at the World Architecture Festival in Singapore.
Currently under construction, the project will form a gateway to the city that connects it with the waterfront, as well as with existing and proposed airports.
The architects studied historical aerial photographs of Doha to develop a layout that follows traditional Qatari street patterns, then superimposed it over an orthogonal grid to allow room for modern day vehicles.
The combination of these two layouts, which the architects refer to as "the grid and the lattice", will create a complex web of streets that respect the Arab/Islamic vernacular, and are also oriented to capture the north-westerly sea breeze.
Dezeen is media partner for the World Architecture Festival, which is taking place at the Marina Bay Sands hotel and conference centre. You can follow all our coverage of the event here, including a series of movies we filmed with programme director Paul Finch in the build-up to the event.
- Helix Hotel by Leeser Architecture
- Creative Units at Aberystwyth Arts Centr…e by Thomas Heatherwick
- MVRDV's Markthal Rotterdam photographed …by Hufton + Crow
- Forest Retreat by Uhlik Architekti rests… on a boulder in a Bohemian wood
- NRW State Archive, Duisburg by Ortner & …Ortner
- 40 Viviendas Para Jóvenes by Bipolaire …Arquitectos
- Statoil regional and international offic…es by A-Lab
- Format Elf Architekten adds blackened ti…mber cottages to a rural German resort
- Social Centre by Imago
Sign up for a daily roundup
of all our stories